Barcelona captain Lionel Messi named FIFA’s The Bestby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona captain Lionel Messi has been named FIFA’s The Best Player of the Year.He beat Juventus striker Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk to the crown.Betting odds had Van Dijk as the favourite after winning the Champions League, but the Argentine rose above the Liverpool defender after finishing second in the first two years of the award, while he didn’t even reach a podium finish last year.”I want to thank everyone who decided to give me this recognition,” Messi said as he collected his trophy.”For me, individual awards are secondary and the collective comes first.”But today is a special day for me.”I have my wife and children here, and it’s the first time they’ve come.”Having them here to enjoy this is priceless.”They love football and they’re watching everyone around them shyly.”Messi dominated for Barcelona last season.Now, he’s favourite to go on and win the Ballon d’Or, as happened with Ronaldo twice and Luka Modric in 2018. About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TORONTO – Canada’s main stock index closed lower Friday, but off its lows for the day, after markets reassessed U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest statements about imposing stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum.A global sell-off in stocks that began Thursday came back around to North America in morning trading after the president doubled down against growing backlash, saying “trade wars are good.”If a trade war does indeed break out, it could threaten a strengthening global economy, but investors seemed to question how far Trump will end up going throughout afternoon trading.The S&P/TSX composite index finished down 9.36 points to 15,384.59, led by losses in the base metals and energy sectors.South of the border, U.S. stocks worked their way back from much steeper losses, finishing Friday mixed.The Dow Jones industrial average was down 70.92 points to 24,538.06. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 index was up 13.58 points to 2,691.25 and the Nasdaq composite index was up 77.31 points to 7,257.87.Trump told industry executives Thursday he plans to impose a tariff of 25 per cent on imported steel and 10 per cent on aluminum, sparking fears of escalating retaliation between countries. While China shrugged of the proposed tariffs, the president of the European Union’s governing body suggested possible tariffs on blue jeans and motorcycles.“But unless there’s a follow through from trading partners in terms of retaliatory issues I don’t think it’s going to be that big an issue for the markets or the economy in general,” said Noman Ali, a portfolio manager with Manulife Asset Management.“It’s really a limited impact in some small, specific industries.”In currency markets, the Canadian dollar was trading at 77.57 cents US, down 0.24 of a U.S. cent.On the commodities front, the May copper contract was unchanged to US$3.12 a pound and the April gold contract was up US$18.20 to US$1,323.40 an ounce. Bullion usually rises when investors are feeling more nervous about inflation and the economy.The April crude contract was up 26 cents to US$61.25 per barrel and the April natural gas contract was unchanged at US$2.70 per mmBTU.— With a file from The Associated Press
NEW YORK — Jared Kushner’s family company plans to buy another property in a New Jersey beach town where developers can get big tax breaks thanks to a new federal program pushed by Kushner and his wife, Ivanka Trump.Long Branch Business Administrator George Jackson says Kushner Cos. is negotiating to buy in the Lower Broadway section of Long Branch, New Jersey. The property is in one of thousands of Opportunity Zones that the federal government approved earlier this year offering tax breaks to entice investment in high poverty areas.It would be the fourth Kushner purchase in an Opportunity Zone in Long Branch since the program was included in last year’s tax overhaul law. Ethics expert say Kushner’s push for the program in Washington raises conflicts of interest issues.Bernard Condon, The Associated Press
BENGALURU: App-based cab aggregator Ola cannot run taxis and autos in Karnataka for the next six months, the state transport department has said in a notification. The licence has been suspended for “operating bike taxis” without permission, which were already banned in the state since the last one year. “Karnataka transport department has suspended the license of Ola Cabs across the state for six months. Licence has been cancelled for operating bike taxis without permission and not replying to the notices of transport department,” the transport department said in the notice issued in Kannadda on March 18. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The notification came to the light today as the cab-aggregator issued a statement on the suspension of license saying it is “evaluating the options to find an amicable solution wherein hundreds of thousands of driver-partners in the state of Karnataka can continue to work and serve the mobility needs of our citizens.” In January, Ola started running bike taxis in certain pockets of Bengaluru – but the cab aggregator says this was purely a “beta pilot” project in a bid to gather data for when the state’s policy allowed bike taxis. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KA showcause notice was then issued by the state to which Ola responded, requesting permission for a four-month pilot project. Ola said the services were by stopped February-end. Right now, there is no two-wheeler taxi policy in Karnataka. Calling the notification “unfortunate”, the company today said it is working closely with the authorities on the issue. “Ola is a law-abiding company that has always worked with the Government to develop livelihoods, improve mobility, and enable a new technology industry,” the statement read. “Despite other companies continuing to operate illegally, Ola halted our bike taxi experiment weeks ago, instead seeking the state’s cooperation to develop a legal framework for a pilot that will continue to take advantage of emerging opportunities in the mobility economy,” it said.
Kolkata: Lok Sabha candidates in West Bengal’s Birbhum district are seeking to exploit all modes of transport to attract attention. While one candidate chose bullock cart, another decided to drive an e-rickshaw. Actor-turned-politician Satabdi Roy, seeking to retain the Birbhum Lok Sabha seat she had won for the Trinamool Congress in 2009 and 2014, was seen riding an e-rickshaw all by herself while campaigning in villages of the Rampurhaat locality. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja Roy, clad in a pink saree and donning sunglasses, also participated in a tribal dance with the women folk of the locality. Not to be outdone, her Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) rival Dudh Kumar Mondal rode a bullock cart to interact with the people of another Panchayat area. The Birbhum constituency will go to polls on April 29 in the fourth of the seven-phased Lok Sabha election in the state.
Shillong: The Meghalaya government has filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court stating that the families of the victims, who were trapped inside a coal mine in December and are untraced till now, have consented to call off search operations, Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said Thursday.On the morning of December 13, a group of 16 miners went missing after water from Lytein river gushed into an illegal rat-hole coal mine in Lumthari village of East Jaintia Hills district in the state. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghOnly two bodies have been retrieved so far in the five-month-long search operation by teams of various agencies, including the NDRF, the Indian Navy and the Army. On January 28, the apex court had asked the Centre and the Meghalaya government to continue their multi-agency operations to trace the miners. “We have filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court informing that the family members of the miners have given their consent to call off the search and rescue operations. We are waiting for directions from the Supreme Court on the matter,” Tynsong said. In the affidavit, the government has attached the written consent received from the family members of the miners, he said. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadDistrict Deputy Commissioner of East Jaintia Hills F M Dopth had submitted the letters to the state government on April 16, citing that the operation be called off as there had been no tangible result. Dopth, on his part, clarified that there was no reduction in the water level in the main shaft, where the miners were trapped, even after discharge of several crore litres of water. Until Tuesday, submersible pumps were engaged in flushing out water from the 370-foot-deep mine, which is interconnected with eight other abandoned mines, he said. “The operations came to a halt yesterday (Wednesday) as the Lytein river is in spate following incessant rainfall in the region,” the official explained. Last month, an interim relief package of Rs 3 lakh was paid to the miners’ family members, who claimed that the amount was too meagre for their sustenance.
New Delhi: The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has written to all chief secretaries including Delhi to take all possible measures to stop child marriages on Akshaya Tritiya.A letter which was written by NCPCR member Yashwant Jain said that the commission has observed that Akshaya Tritiya or Akha Teej is being celebrated in various parts of India as a day of good fortune to establish new businesses, new partnerships and new marriages. “Solemnization of child marriages and mass marriages on a large scale has been common practice in past years. Despite the fact that laws are in place, child marriages are being solemnized which is a matter of concern. This year Akshaya Tritiya or Akha Teej will be celebrated on 7 May 2019,” reads the letter. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesIt further said, “You must be aware that the PCMA 2006 seeks to prevent child marriages by making certain actions punishable and by appointing certain authorities responsible for the prevention and prohibition of child marriages. These persons are responsible for ensuring that the law is implemented. It is also the responsibility to the community to make use of the law.” It further added that CMPOs are to be appointed in every state to prevent child marriages, ensure the protection of the victims as well as prosecution of the offenders. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarThe letter revealed that the Commission is an apex body in the field of Child Rights and in accordance with its functions as mentioned in Section 13 (1) (a) of the CPCR Act 2005 requests you to direct all District Magistrates or Collectors, Deputy Inspectors General or Superintendents of Police, Sarpanches, Civil Society Organizations, Child Marriage Prevention Officers and Child Welfare Committee in the states/ union territories to take proactive steps and preventive measures to stop child marriages. The State Women Commissions and State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCRs) may also be requested to remain vigilant to prevent child marriages.
One big letdown against the San Jose Sharks snapped the Columbus Blue Jackets’ three-game winning streak. After scoring two power-play goals for an early 2-0 lead, Columbus surrendered three unanswered goals to the Sharks. A third-period tally from left winger Patrick Marleau put San Jose ahead, 3-2, and goalie Antti Niemi shut the Jackets out the rest of the game Wednesday night at Nationwide Arena. The Blue Jackets imposed themselves on San Jose from the opening faceoff. Besides winning physical battles on both offense and defense, the Jackets took advantage of their first two power plays of the game. Niemi kept his team in the game throughout the opening period, turning away 14 shots. At 9:35 into the game, he got a leg pad to Blue Jackets left winger Kristian Huselius’ slap shot, despite a screen from left winger R.J. Umberger. Niemi’s pad wasn’t enough, though, and the shot trickled through his legs. Huselius’ 12th goal of the year gave the Blue Jackets an early 1-0 lead. Columbus continued to win physical battles during its second power play before defenseman Grant Clitsome skated up from the blue line to slap a shot into the upper left-hand corner of the net. Niemi only managed to turn his head in time to see Clitsome’s third goal of the year put the Sharks in a 2-0 hole at the 19:51 mark. But the Sharks pushed back, literally and figuratively, in the second period. There was increased physicality from all members of the San Jose team, and their scoring push came from unlikely players. Less than two minutes into the second period, defenseman Kent Huskins cut the Sharks’ deficit in half with his first goal of the year. Sharks center Kyle Wellwood provided his second goal of the year to even the score at 2-2, 12 minutes later. Columbus defenseman Marc Methot thought the goals were more a product of a Columbus letdown than a San Jose revival. “We did it to ourselves that period,” Methot said. “We let off the gas.” An uneventful third period turned unfortunate for Columbus when right winger Derek Dorsett collapsed after getting his leg caught on the ice. Dorsett stayed down for several minutes but managed to skate to the bench without assistance. The Sharks intensified their attack when play resumed, and eventually one of their known scoring commodities provided the game-winning goal. Columbus goalie Steve Mason, who saved 29 shots total, stood tall for much of the third period. Mason was tight up against the left post of his goal when a wrist shot from the point snuck passed him and several bodies in front of the net. The goal was credited to Marleau. Columbus coach Scott Arniel was skeptical of the Sharks’ third goal. “It just got in on the short side,” Arniel said. “(Mason) was playing a heck of a hockey game. If it goes on the short side, one way or another, he’s gotta seal that.” Marleau’s 20th goal of the year for the Sharks was met with more impressive goaltending from Niemi, who made 16 of his game-high 42 saves in the third period to help the Sharks hang on for a 3-2 victory. Arniel was mostly positive about Columbus’ effort in recent games, but questioned the mental toughness of his players. “The guys, you could tell, were a little tired at times,” Arniel said. “We gave ourselves a chance to win the game. It’s real disappointing. We felt we were good for stretches.” Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash summed up the loss to San Jose in just a few sentences. “It’s a tough one tonight,” Nash said. “We had a great first and then sat back and lost on a tough goal. We shot ourselves in the foot and threw away two points.” With the loss, Columbus remains four points behind the Calgary Flames for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. San Jose moves into the top spot in the Western Conference’s Pacific Division and third place in the conference overall with the win. The Blue Jackets return to action with a 7 p.m. faceoff Friday against the Colorado Avalanche at Nationwide Arena.
Jamie Vardy had to spend the whole game against Tunisia on the bench and he just watched his team winning 2-1 after Harry Kane scored both goals – but he believes that at some point, he will play.The Leicester City striker claimed that he is annoyed at all by the fact that he has not been playing so far and he is ready to take his chance when Gareth Southgate will decide to choose him.Vardy spoke about his national team position as he said, according to Sky Sports:Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“It’s not annoying at all [watching fellow striker Kane scoring twice]. At the end of the day we are all here for one reason and that is to keep winning as many games as possible.”“You’ve just got to keep going and make sure you are putting in the effort on the training field and then getting into the gaffer’s plans – hopefully, get your chance – and then making sure you stay there.”“The gaffer has said that everyone who is here in the 23-man squad is going to be needed at some point, so you’ve obviously just got to stay focused and put the effort in and hopefully get your chance and that’s when you have got to make sure it counts.”
Leicester City manager Claude Puel has bemoaned his team’s slow start in their defeat to Manchester United.The Leicester boss insists his team slow start cost them in their 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford.Leicester City conceded a penalty as early as the third minute when Daniel Amartey handled the ball in the box and United’s captain for the night Paul Pogba duly converted.Luke Shaw scored his first professional goal when he was put to through on goal by Juan Mata to double United’s lead.Jamie Vardy pulled one back for the Foxes in added time but it was too little and too late to affect the scoreline at that point.“It’s disappointing for the players because they gave their best,” said Puel, according to Goal.Solskjaer praises Harry Maguire after Man United’s 1-0 win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer singled out Harry Maguire for praise after helping Manchester United keep a clean sheet in their 1-0 win over Leicester City.“Of course, to concede a goal just a couple of seconds after the beginning of the game is a shame and we have to correct this.“Our kick-off was not good enough. Our first-half was a good performance with good quality, good pressing, good play forward and a lot of chances. We needed to score in this moment, a strong period of domination in the first-half.“We pushed and we played against a team who were deep on the pitch. Without space, it was difficult.“We found success with good moves and good quality and perhaps in the second half we had good energy to finish this performance for another result but I think at the end it is a disappointment. It is not, for me, a fair result.”“We dominated this game with good play and a lot of chances. With a lot of free-kicks and set pieces, we can do a lot better with these situations,” Puel continued.“Sometimes we were unlucky with the possibilities to score in different moves. I’m happy about the performance but it would have been better to win or draw for our fans. It would have been a good reward for our play.”