Love Child follows a ‘secret’ family as they flee Iran, after an illegal affair

first_imgSix years in the making, Love Child documents their journey across borders and through the immigration system. The BBC’s Alex Stanger spoke to Leila and director Eva Mulvad about the documentary, which is available on streaming services. – Advertisement – When Leila met Sahand they were unhappily married to other people. The pair started an extra-marital affair, an illegal act in their homeland, Iran. When Leila had a baby she knew they had to flee. – Advertisement –last_img

Dorset Bourne to be riled

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Age shall not weary them

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

AM roundup: StepStone, Swiss Capital, AllianzGI, Sound Harbor, Moody’s

first_imgAs part of its acquisition of Swiss Capital, it launched a private debt and hedge fund platform.It will expand StepStone’s European presence to around 90 professionals across three offices.Swiss Capital’s management team will continue to lead the private debt and hedge fund teams and be responsible for the management of the two businesses.In other news, Allianz Global Investors is to acquire Sound Harbor Partners, a US private credit manager.The firm will be part of AllianzGI’s private debt platform, which will incorporate the Sound Harbor team.The value of the transaction has not been disclosed.Sound Harbor is led by Michael Zupon, a former partner at the Carlyle Group, and Dean Criares, a former partner of the Blackstone Group.Sound Harbor is focused on alternative investments in corporate loans, direct lending, distressed debt and opportunistic credit.The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2017.Lastly, Moody’s has changed its outlook on the global asset management industry from stable to negative.It said this was because “the acceleration of flows into low-fee passive products from actively managed funds, and regulatory initiatives constraining sales, have disrupted the industry”.The ratings agency said proposals recently announced by the Financial Conduct Authority “to reshape UK asset management” were credit negative for active managers.In mid-November, the UK regulator published its interim report on its asset management market study, saying that it found weak price competition among actively managed funds. StepStone Group LP, a US private markets and real assets investor, today announced that it has closed the acquisition of Zurich-based Swiss Capital Alternative Investments.The transaction was originally announced in May this year and had been subject to regulatory approvals.Swiss Capital is a private debt and hedge fund “solution provider” with more than $6.5bn (€6bn) in assets, targeting institutional investors primarily in Switzerland, Germany and Austria.StepStone is a global private markets firm with around $28bn in assets and overseeing more than $100bn of private capital allocations.last_img read more

Missing Dearborn County Woman Found In Pond

first_imgAn Aurora woman who was missing for several hours was found dead in a pond on Wednesday morning.Paula Lynn Dean, 57, was reported missing about three hours before emergency personnel, who were looking for her, found her body in a private pond on Dutch Mill Road.The woman who had Alzheimer’s, was located around 9:00 a.m. Police do not believe foul play was involved.Family members said Dean was a very loving and upbeat person, and always a smile and good word for everyone. She was a 35 year employee of Aurora Casket Company.An autopsy will be held to determine the exact cause of death.last_img

Lake Santee postpones fireworks to Labor Day

first_imgGreensburg, IN—According to Shannon Gibbs, the Lake Santee Property Owners Association Board President, after carefully considering many possible options, the Lake Santee Property Owners Association Board of Directors has decided to postpone the Independence Day celebration activities, including the band and fireworks, due to ongoing COVID-19 social distancing and public health concerns.The Lake Association is planning to reschedule these events over the Labor Day weekend.Each year typically 8,000 – 9,000 members, their guests, and people from the surrounding community attend the fireworks. While the beaches, lake, and other amenities are not open to the public, the community has historically been welcome for the fireworks. The number of people (members and guests included) who choose to watch the fireworks from the amphitheater/main beach area is typically 500 – 1,000.last_img read more

The Latest: Army inks series with BYU

first_img___Notre Dame canceled its Wednesday football practice and might take Thursday off as well in response to the school’s decision to go to online classes because of a coronavirus outbreak on campus.The Rev. John Jenkins, the Notre Dame president, announced in-person undergraduate classes would be canceled through Sept. 2. About 150 students have tested positive.Notre Dame is imposing restrictions on student activity, including limiting access to dormitories to residents and barring students from major gathering places on campus.The Fighting Irish football program announced last week there have been four positive test results for COVID-19 out of 619 tests done since players returned to campus in June. In Wednesday’s announcement, the school said the pause would last until at least 5 p.m. Thursday. That came two days after UNC canceled in-person undergraduate classes in favor of remote instruction.The move includes the closure of campus recreation facilities, though dining halls and libraries will remain open in limited capacity.In a statement, athletics director Bubba Cunningham said school officials “want to make sure we continue to do everything we can to ensure that that our teams, campus and community remain healthy.‘’Athletes will have continued access to services such as academic support and medical care.The decision to switch to remote instruction was made after four coronavirus clusters in student housing and a fraternity surfaced in the past week. The school plans to allow athletes, international students, ROTC students and students with hardships such as the lack of online access at home to remain in campus housing if they choose. The decision announced Tuesday night comes after there were active cases reported for seven students and four staffers. The school said health officials have instructed the individuals to isolate while recovering, while those in close contact with the active cases have been instructed to quarantine.___The largest 10-kilometer road race in the United States will be run virtually in 2020.The Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta, which has been held on the Fourth of July since its inaugural event in 1970, shifted to a Thanksgiving date in hopes of staging the race during the coronavirus pandemic. It normally attracts some 60,000 runners.But the Atlanta Track Club now says the race will not be run down the city’s famed Peachtree Street because of safety concerns. Georgia has been one of the nation’s hardest-hit states during the pandemic, recording nearly 250,000 confirmed cases and more than 4,700 deaths. The second game in the series is scheduled for November 2032 at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah. The two schools have never met in football and both are scrambling to fill schedules that were pretty much wiped out by the coronavirus pandemic. Army lost games against Bucknell, Princeton, Oklahoma, UMass, Connecticut, Eastern Michigan, Miami of Ohio, and Buffalo, while BYU lost eight games.The Black Knights have yet to finalize their schedule, but they open the season Sept. 5 at Michie Stadium against Middle Tennessee State. BYU opens its season on Sept. 7 at Navy.___North Carolina has immediately suspended athletics activities for all sports teams for at least 24 hours due to a “continued upward trend in positive COVID-19 tests on campus.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Army and Brigham Young have agreed to a home-and-home football series, with the first game between the two independents slated for Sept. 19 at Michie Stadium as both schools piece together new schedules. “As coronavirus has spiked in recent weeks here in Georgia, we recognize that this decision is the best and only responsible way forward,” executive director Rich Kenah said in a statement.The track club now plans a virtual event that will allow runners to experience some of the race’s traditions and compare their times with others who take part.___The Georgia Bulldogs are planning to have some fans for their football games played between the hedges.The university announced ticket plans that call for allowing 20 to 25% capacity at 92,746-seat Sanford Stadium, where the field is surrounded by hedges. That would mean maximum crowds of between 18,500 and 23,000 for Georgia’s four home games in 2020. August 19, 2020 ___Wake Forest all-conference wide receiver Sage Surratt has opted out of the coming season to prepare for the NFL draft amid the coronavirus pandemic.Surratt announced his decision Wednesday on social media, citing “the many uncertainties and risks associated with COVID-19.” Surratt said he’s set to earn an economics degree in December, saying the school in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, has “forever transformed my life.”“My experience at Wake Forest has been extraordinary, and I leave with a humble and grateful heart,” Surratt said.The 6-foot-3, 215-pound redshirt junior made The Associated Press’ All-Atlantic Coast Conference first team last season after hauling in 66 catches for 1,001 yards and 11 touchdowns in nine games before going down with an injury. The 1,001 yards were the best for all power-conference receivers at the time of the injury, with four games of at least 150 yards last season. Surratt’s brother, Chazz, plays linebacker at North Carolina after starting his career as a quarterback and is also an NFL prospect.UNC team spokesman Jeremy Sharpe says in an email that Chazz Surratt’s status remains unchanged.___Appalachian State has paused football practices after reporting a coronavirus cluster involving the team.The school in Boone, North Carolina, says athletic director Doug Gillin has suspended practice “until further consultation warrants a change in status.” Associated Press The Latest: Army inks series with BYU The Bulldogs are offering single-game tickets in hopes of accommodating as many season ticket holders as possible for games against Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.The school says those who choose not to attend games this fall will be eligible for a refund on all donations and season ticket purchases, while retaining their preferred status for 2021.Tickets will cost $150 per game.___Roma goalkeeper Antonio Mirante says he has the coronavirus but is currently asymptomatic. The 37-year-old Mirante says in a video on Instagram that he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is in isolation.He says “I feel well, I have no symptoms, neither a fever nor a cough.”The news comes a day after Roma announced that two of its youth team players had tested positive for the virus.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportslast_img read more

Latin American Bikers Tour 250 Nigerian Cities

first_imgFrom Olawale Ajimotokan in AbujaBikers from Latin American Motorcycles Association (LAMA) will on Tuesday commence the tour of eleven states of the federation to highlight the heritage sites, landmarks and museums in the country.The bikers are drawn from USA, Mexico, UK, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay, Paraguay, Germany, Holland and Nigeria.The expedition, to be flagged off at Eagle Square, Abuja, according to the leader of the group, Mario Nieves, will last over two weeks and will afford the cyclists a sight of 250 Nigerian cities. The states to be toured by the bikers, numbering 12 and their Nigerian counterparts are FCT, Niger, Kogi, Anambra, Cross River, Rivers, Edo, Ondo, Osun, Ogun and Lagos.“The Nigerian people have been incredible and hospitable and have set examples for a lot of people in our countries. We all belong to the same human race and we are here to let everyone know about Nigeria,” Nieves said when the riders were hosted by Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.He described the expedition as a home coming for most of them, particularly himself, saying his grandmother and great grandmother were both descendants of African slaves.The selected heritage sites to be visited in the course of the tour, according to the the Acting Director General, National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Alhaji Abdulkarim Kadiri, include the Lord Lugard residence in Lokoja, the first primary school in northern Nigeria, Igbo Ukwu archeological site, the Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe Mausoleum, Old Residency Building, Calabar and National Museum, Port Harcourt.Other selected sites are Adaka Boro Park, Benin City Walls and Moats, Iwo Eleru Cave near Owo, Osun Osogbo Sacred Groove, Olumo Rock, Abeokuta, National Theatre, Lagos, Idanre Hills, Oban Hills National Parks and the first storeyed building in Nigeria in Badagry.Mohammed said the bikers’ presence was a testimony to federal government’s quest to promote the country’s cultural heritage to the world.In addition, he disclosed that all the visitors got their visas on arrival to underscore that FG’s visa on arrival policy is working.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Added weapons will give Trojans depth

first_imgThe USC men’s basketball team has been undermanned at best through its first two contests this season, but reinforcements are on their way.The Trojans will play host to Coppin State this Friday with the added help of redshirt senior forward Marcus Johnson and redshirt junior forward Alex Stepheson.The return of Stepheson and Johnson is all the more important considering redshirt junior forward Kasey Cunningham’s torn ACL, which will force him to miss the entire regular season.Johnson and Stepheson both missed the season-opening win over UC Riverside and the subsequent loss to Loyola Marymount. USC (1-1) was forced to rely on only seven players in the two games, blowing a 12-point lead in the second half and falling 67-59 against LMU.But beginning this weekend, first-year coach Kevin O’Neill will have added weapons at his disposal in Johnson and Stepheson.Johnson, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound forward, sat out the first two games per an NCAA punishment because of an exhibition game he played in with Connecticut in 2007. The Westchester High product transferred to USC after two seasons with UConn and played 16 games last season with the Trojans.Stepheson practiced with USC all of last year but didn’t play because of NCAA transfer rules. The 6-foot-9, 235-pounder transferred from North Carolina after his sophomore season to be closer to his family, which was dealing with several health concerns.Coppin State, coached by the legendary Ron “Fang” Mitchell, boasts a roster led by guards Lenny Young and Kareem Brown. Young is averaging a team-leading 14.7 points per game this season while Brown leads the team in minutes played with more than 29 per game.Mitchell recorded his 600th win as a head coach at the college level with the Eagles’ victory over West Virginia Tech earlier this month. Coppin State (3-1) is traditionally a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference power.last_img read more

Syracuse blocks 15 shots and shuts down power plays in 4-1 win over Mercyhurst

first_img Published on January 26, 2018 at 10:37 pm Contact Adam: adhillma@syr.edu | @_adamhillman Facebook Twitter Google+ Midway through the second period, as Syracuse clung to a one-goal lead, Mercyhurst pushed down on the Orange defense on the power play. Holding the puck to the left of the net, Mercyhurst sophomore forward Celine Frappier launched a pass towards the net.With a clear target in front of goal, the Lakers had a strong possibility of an equalizer. But Orange junior defender Allie Munroe leaped onto the ice, stopping the impending attack, eventually leading to a puck clear down the ice.Syracuse (9-14-2, 8-4-1 CHA) applied intense defensive pressure on Mercyhurst (12-13-2, 9-3-1 CHA) throughout the game, leading to a 4-1 win. The Orange were able to block both passing and shooting lanes, stopping 15 shots from ever reaching the net. With aid from goaltender Abbey Miller, SU was able to hold the Lakers to zero goals on six power-play opportunities.“We tried to force them to make a pass or take a shot when they really don’t want to,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said. “When they took shots, we did our best to in the way of them.”Facing the top-ranked team in the CHA, the Orange were notably physical. Recording a total of six penalties, Syracuse spent 12 of the final 40 minutes a player down. While Mercyhurst was able to accrue 10 more shots on goal, SU stopped each of the Lakers’ power-play opportunities. With an aggressive mindset entering the game, SU simply attacked its opponents even when on the penalty kill, redshirt-junior Brooke Avery said.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Orange thrived off blocked shots. Tallying 15, tied for its third-highest total this season, SU was able to read out the Mercyhurst forwards’ attack.Whether it was senior forward Alysha Burriss using her body to stop a play on the penalty kill and eventually clear the puck, or 5-foot-4 junior forward Sarah Stuehr ending a breakaway by standing her ground against a much larger player, SU players were not afraid to sacrifice their bodies. Syracuse coaches consistently remind the players to use physicality to their advantage, Burriss said.Miller, one of Syracuse’s senior leaders, looked around the ice hurriedly while holding the one-goal lead. Mercyhurst was on the attack, determined to find an answer. The puck shot over from one side of the ice to another and Miller with it. Mercyhurst freshman Summer-Rae Dobson fired the puck to the left of Miller. The puck rapidly approaching, Miller reached out with only a pad and pushed the attempt away.Syracuse’s netminder was almost perfect, stopping 26 of 27 Mercyhurst attempts, with the only goal coming off a converted breakaway. After being benched three weeks ago against Robert Morris, Miller has recovered and become a force for the Orange defense, Flanagan said.“Abbey made some really good saves; she was solid,” he said. “She was there to cover up loose pucks and make plays.”Defeating the top team in the CHA by three goals, Syracuse has an opportunity to tie for the conference lead tomorrow with a win and a Robert Morris loss or tie.With upward conference movement possible, Avery wants to continue to focus on playing hard and beating teams through aggression.“We really want to be one of the hardest working teams in the conference and America,” she said. “We do everything we can, whether it is blocking shots, blocking passes, winning face-offs, whatever. We know if we work hard we can be really good.” Commentslast_img read more