Conor McGregor says he ‘regrets’ melee that got him arrested on assault charges

first_imgJune 14, 2018 /Sports News – National Conor McGregor says he ‘regrets’ melee that got him arrested on assault charges Beau Lund FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailMary Altaffer-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor broke his silence Thursday about allegedly sparking a melee in April in Brooklyn, New York, that left two foes injured – saying he “regrets” his actions in the out-of-Octagon altercation.The 29-year-old Irish cage brawler spoke following a brief hearing in Brooklyn Supreme Court, where a prosecutor told a judge that McGregor and another MMA fighter, Cian Cowley, were in the process of negotiating a plea deal on assault charges. “I regret my actions that lead me here today,” the heavily tattooed McGregor told reporters as he left the courthouse. “I understand the seriousness of this matter and I am hopeful that it gets resolved soon.”McGregor, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight and lightweight titleholder, was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after being arrested on April 6. He allegedly attacked a bus full of fighters following a pre-fight press conference for what had been billed as a 13-bout UFC 223 match at the Barclays Center. Fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were injured by flying glass when McGregor threw a metal dolly at their bus in a backstage area of the Barclays Center, shattering a window. The attack was caught on video and also showed Cowley allegedly hurling a chair at the bus and McGregor also attempting to throw a metal barricade to the vehicle before he was stopped. Cowley, 25, was also charged with assault and criminal mischief.Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney Janet Gleeson told a judge Thursday that the case against McGregor and Cowley has not been presented to a grand jury for possible indictment due to the plea negotiations.McGregor and Cowley were ordered to return to court on July 26. They both remain free on $50,000 bail each.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.center_img Written bylast_img read more

Indiana AG supports citizenship question for 2020 Census

first_imgIndianapolis, In. — Attorney General Curtis Hill has joined a multistate legal brief supporting plans by the federal government to reinstate a citizenship question to the 2020 census questionnaire. The brief was filed in opposition to a lawsuit by 17 other states against the U.S. Department of Commerce, of which the U.S. Census Bureau is part.Amid other legal complaints, the suing states claim that asking census respondents whether they are citizens denies equal protection by discriminating against racial minorities. Attorneys general of the suing states have described the citizenship question as a tool for intimidating states that welcome immigrants. Such objections amount to baseless rhetoric, Attorney General Hill said.“The federal government is well within its rightful authority to ask census respondents whether they are citizens,” Attorney General Hill said. “In fact, a negative response does not necessarily mean that the respondent is here illegally. Those with work or student visas are not U.S. citizens but are here lawfully.”Further, the Census Bureau is statutorily prohibited from sharing any data in which an individual can be identified, Attorney General Hill noted. Individual responses are considered confidential under the law, withheld even from law enforcement. The value of the census instead lies in the bulk data it provides to policymakers and the public.Regardless of individuals’ varying perspectives on immigration policy, Attorney General Hill said, Americans across the political spectrum should be able to achieve consensus supporting the basic value of collecting demographic information on U.S. residents.“Crafting practical solutions to the millions of illegal immigrants already here,” Attorney General Hill said, “does not require that we abandon the collection of data points, such as citizenship status, that can aid us in developing critical solutions to our many pressing problems.”As part of their complaint, the suing states have attempted to depose U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and other officials. The brief joined by Indiana opposes such tactics as intrusive depositions of government officials that, if allowed to stand, would encourage increased and unnecessary litigation burdens for state and federal officials.The Census Bureau included a citizenship question on its “long form” questionnaire from 1970 until the 2010 census. With the discontinuance of this practice in 2010, state legislators have faced the prospect of depending on the less reliable American Community Survey (ACS) for information regarding citizenship.Attached is the amicus brief joined Friday by Indiana.last_img read more

Mr GH Flex Bodybuilding Championship slated for September 1

first_imgThe finest bodybuilders in the country will put their carved muscle skill to test when the maiden edition of the Mr GH Flex Bodybuilding Championship comes off at the Multipurpose Court of the Accra Sports Stadium on Saturday, September 1.The event will form part of activities to mark the 2018 Homowo festivities of the chiefs and people of Osu and assemble crack bodybuilders from across the country to compete for honours.Athletes will participate in categories including lightweight, middleweight, heavyweights and men physique pose.Speaking at the launch of the event, the Chief Executive Officer of Ultimate Fitness Palace, organisers of the event, Mr Arnold Anane Aryee said revealed that the overall winner will win a cash prize of GHC 5,000 and  trophy while winners at the categories pocket cash prizes ranging from GH¢1,500 to GH¢500 in the top three positions.Mr Aryee also a former champion in the sport announced that he will join some established bodybuilders over the age of 40 for the special Masters Category. This will bring back on the stage some former bodybuilding kingpins including Christopher Anto a.k.a. Sabato, Paa Tee, Mustapha Richardson, a.k.a. Captain, Yaw Adofo King, Sam Addo, Kofi Salia a.k.a. Asaase and Yaw ‘Sweat’ Azure.The day’s activities will also be spiced up with a weightlifting competition dubbed ‘Mr Gh. Strongest Man’ on the same day. Participants would be drawn from the middleweight (0-85kg) and heavyweight (86kg and above) to take part in the bench press, squat and dead-lift.At stake is a winner’s prize of GH¢2,000 with the first and second runners-up walking away with GH¢1000 and GH¢500 each from the various categories. This year’s championship is sponsored by Ultimate Fitness Palace, Pulse Fitness, Ironman Supplements, CHAMPS with JOY Prime, Adom and Joy News as media partners.last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Thursday, Aug. 20 to Sunday, Aug. 24

first_imgWellington Police notes for Thursday, Aug. 20 to Sunday, Aug. 24:Thursday, August 20, 2015•8:20 a.m. Officers took a report of found bicycle in the area of the Wellington Golf Course.•11:09 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a television in the 1800 block N. A,  Wellington.•1:30 p.m. Jesse W. Poole, 32, Wellington was served a summons to appear for dog bite violation, dog at large and determination that dog is vicious.•4:44 p.m. Officers took a report of a disturbance in the 700 block N. B,  Wellington by known subjects.•6:42 p.m. Officers took a report of a vicious animal by known owner in the 900 block W. 7th,  Wellington.•8:10 p.m. Andrew K. Gerten, 55, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for seatbelt violation.•8:37 p.m. Officers took a report of a domestic disturbance in the 500 block N. Blaine,  Wellington by known subjects.•10:39 p.m. Officers investigated two counts of theft, unlawful discharge of a firearm in the Wellington city limits and criminal possession of a firearm by a felon by a known suspect in the 100 block N. Washington,  Wellington.Friday, August 21, 2015•1:13 a.m. Lisa M. Koehn, 34, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of methamphetamine.•2:34 a.m. John D. Vigil Jr, 51, Wellington was arrested and charged with theft of a motor vehicle, theft of property, unlawful discharge of a firearm and possession of a firearm by a felon.•7:30 a.m. Officers took a report of a found hammer in the 300 block N. A,  Wellington.•12:07 p.m. Officers took a report of harassment in the 600 block N. Poplar, Wellington.•4:38 p.m. Theresa R. Session, 41, Desoto, Texas, was issued a notice to appear for speeding 63 mph in a 40 mph zone.•5:37 p.m. Officers took a report of a disturbance in the 1100 block N. C,  Wellington.•9:26 p.m. Officers investigated a battery in the 200 block S. Douglas, Wellington by known suspect(s).•10:40 p.m. Officers investigated a battery and disorderly conduct in the 200 block S. Bright by known suspect.•11:41 p.m. Officers investigated aggravated battery and disorderly conduct in the 900 block S. A, Wellington by a known suspect.Saturday, August 22, 2015•2:43 a.m. Officers conducted an outside agency assist in the 2400 block N. A, Wellington.•3:10 a.m. Shane A. Hall, 24, Severy, Kans. was arrested and confined on a City of Udall bench warrant for failure to pay fines.•11:02 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 200 block N. C,  Wellington.•7:51 p.m. Officers investigated an aggravated assault in the 300 block E. 8th, Wellington by known suspect.•3:49 p.m. Officers took a report of a disturbance in the 900 block W. Lincoln,  Wellington, by known subject(s).Sunday, August 23, 2015•4:30 p.m. Non-injury accident in the 1300 block E. Harvey,  Wellington involving vehicles operated by Dale A. Weber, 60, Wellington and Hillary E M Vaugh, 23, Wellington.•4:45 p.m. Dale A. Weber, 60, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for improper backing.•4:56 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a bicycle in the 1000 block Shadylane, Wellington.•5:31 p.m. Officers took a report of a disturbance in the 1300 block E. Harvey,  Wellington by a known subject(s).•8:13 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to vehicles in the 800 block N. Jefferson, Wellington.last_img read more