BJP sounds the bugle for Maharashtra Assembly polls

first_imgThe Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday kickstarted a drive to enrol nearly one crore new members into the party in the run up to the upcoming Assembly elections in October. Senior leaders present during the launch said the party is set to rule for the next 25 years with a strong member base and would receive 50% votes in Maharashtra in the next elections. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said the party once strengthened would go on to scrap Article 370, which gives special powers to Kashmir, within the next five years. Other senior BJP leaders present on the occasion said they had already achieved 25 lakh of the the one crore target in a previous drive launched before the Lok Sabha polls. About 18 lakh of those members have already been verified. “The total voters for Lok Sabha polls were 5.5 crore. If we register 1 crore families, we will secure half of State’s vote share (2.5 crore). Our ambition to achieve the 50% target of vote share will give us a sound base for the future,” said Mr Fadnavis said adding that Kashmir is an integral part of the India and about time it is fully made part of the country. Former cabinet minister and senior BJP leader Suresh Prabhu said the party is set to rule the country for the next 25 years. Mr. Fadnavis used the occasion to enlist the achievements of his government, including Metro works worth ₹1.10 lakh crores and development of Dharavi slums. “I request all workers to participate in this induction drive with full heart. Amitbhai Shah (party president) has also directed workers to participate in a plantation drive and other measures to help party secure a second term in Maharashtra ,” Mr Fadnavis said. “We will come back to power again in Maharashtra and win by a record margin,” he asserted.last_img read more

Maharashtra to move on farmers’ insurance claims

first_imgThe Maharashtra government will put in place a framework to resolve all complaints related to non-payment of insurance claims to farmers. The Cabinet on Tuesday reviewed the financial situation of private insurance companies and their pending claims following the announcement by ally Shiv Sena to protest against them. Senior ministers said a payment of more than ₹15,000 crore has been made to farmers who have paid over ₹2,300 crore in premiums in the past four years.“During the the previous government’s tenure, the compensation amount never exceeded ₹300 crore a year. But the expenditure of companies this year alone is over ₹3,200 crore,” said a senior minister the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiv Sena government. Confirming that the Cabinet reviewed the insurance scheme and held a presentation, new State BJP chief Chandrakant Patil said the party had no problem with the Sena’s stand. “The companies will only pay farmers who have suffered losses. We understand the Sena’s stand and are fine even if our own party workers will hold a protest. If by holding protests the issue can be resolved, then everyone is more than welcome to do so,” he said.Earlier, the government set up a 10-member committee to scrutinise complaints from farmers and public representatives against the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana, a government-sponsored crop insurance scheme, at the taluka level. “The government has been receiving a slew of complaints from villages and districts. We have set up the committee, headed by the local tehsildar, among nine other members, to look into complaints of mismanagement in the scheme,” said a government directive.last_img read more

Kobe sees Gilas inclusion as ‘blessing’ and is learning from it

first_imgFEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games “I’m just happy to be a part of this team, to be teammates with these guys,” he said. “Being coached by pros is great. All in all, this is a great learning experience for me.”Clips of Kobe in action during the Fiba 3X3 tournament in France, and his dunk contest videos on youtube that went viral a couple of years back have made him the new toast of Philippine basketball.Paras knows that this is just the stepping stone to bigger things in his career and he is just thankful for the opportunity.“I’m happy. God gave me the chance to be a part of this team. This is just a blessing.”With Gilas having just two games left, and with the prodigious high-flyer nursing that back injury, it could be safe to say that Kobe will remain grounded for the rest of this tournament.ADVERTISEMENT Gasol agrees to three-year deal with Spurs—report Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim LATEST STORIES Photo by Musong CastilloTAIPEI – There was a lot of noise that Kobe Paras generated coming over to play for Gilas Pilipinas in the 39th Jones Cup Invitational.Overseas Filipino Workers continue flocking to the Taipei Peace Basketball Hall here for Gilas games, hoping for a win by the Filipinos over talented international sides, and, of course, wanting to see a glimpse of Benjie Paras’ son in action.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweetcenter_img View comments Figuratively speaking, Kobe has also remained grounded despite the high expectations prior to coming over.But he has handled it quite well after putting everything in the right perspective.“It’s been a goal of mine ever since I was a kid to be a part of Gilas,” Paras said with pride. “And there are a lot of 19-year-olds out there who are not in the (national) team.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. With coach Chot Reyes bringing in such a talented team composed of Gilas Cadet members, Kobe, just 19 years old and with the least playing experience in the 17-man lineup, has turned out to be Gilas’ loudest, most ardent cheerleader on the bench most often than not.Fans have not hidden their disappointment over that.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsBut it’s perfectly fine with Kobe.“It’s a fact that I’m the youngest in this team and I need to work getting myself the minutes,” Paras said on Friday after he was forced to sit out the game against Lithuania because of back spasms. National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’last_img read more

World Cup T20: Virender Sehwag must play in India match against Pakistan, says Shoaib Akhtar

first_imgTeam India must bring back match-winner Virender Sehwag for the must-win game against Pakistan in Colombo on Sunday, but the swashbuckling batsman would be under pressure, if he is included in the XI after being axed for the tie versus Australia, says former Pakistan tearaway Shoaib Akhtar.Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni chose to drop Sehwag for India’s first World T20 Super Eights game, against Australia on Friday, and the team got walloped by nine wickets, thus making the game against Pakistan a do-or-die battle. Although India have another game to go against South Africa, a win against Pakistan is a must to progress in the tournament.”If I were India captain I would bring back Sehwag. He creates pressure on the opposition. If he hits out Dhoni (too) will benefit (and not just Sehwag). But the pressure will be on Sehwag and not on Dhoni,” Shoaib told Mail Today in an exclusive interview. Shoaib Akhtar at the India Today Mediaplex where he will be an expert on the TV Today Network during the T20 World Cup.Dhoni dropped Sehwag against Australia, and instead picked a third spinner, leggie Piyush Chawla, but surprisingly gave him only one over, in which he conceded 14 runs.Sehwag has played just one Twenty20 International against Pakistan and scored five runs.The ‘Rawalpindi Express’, as Shoaib is often called, felt that Dhoni should have picked Sehwag against Australia. “If he had played him, he would have known whether to persist with him for the match against Pakistan,” he opined.However, the Pakistani advised Dhoni to not to pay “attention to the ongoing issues” and concentrate on the upcoming match. “He is Dhoni and he should remain Dhoni. He is a ‘diler’ (brave) and he should remain just that. When a ‘diler’ takes a wrong decision, even that, at times, turns out to be a right one, eventually,” he said.Shoaib, 37, said that winning the toss could be decisive, but it would not be the be-all-and-end-all in the crucial game. While lauding Pakistan for playing fearless cricket so far in Sri Lanka, Shoaib said that if captain Mohammad Hafeez’s team chases the target, it should not panic or play reckless shots.”Pakistan should chase maturity and sensibly. They should not panic. That’s a problem with them; they, at times, play irresponsible shots. They should play natural cricket,” he emphasised. “We don’t know any other way to play cricket; we have been taught to play the game that way since beginning. And this Twenty20 format suits Pakistan cricketers.”The former Pakistani speedster particularly want hard-hitting batsman Shahid Afridi to succeed against India. “I want him to perform and he should first stay at the wicket and then hit out in the crunch game,” he said.Shoaib, who has shifted his base back to his home city Rawalpindi from Lahore, said that Pakistan should play the same XI that held its nerves to edge past South Africa by two wickets with two balls remaining at the same venue where they will clash with India, R Premadasa Stadium.The Pakistani advised the two captains to enjoy the game in front of a ‘neutral’ ground. “Both captains don’t need to worry. They might as well enjoy the pressure of the game,” he said.advertisementlast_img read more