Woman locked herself in bedroom during aggravated burglary

first_imgNewsWoman locked herself in bedroom during aggravated burglaryBy Staff Reporter – September 7, 2015 1103 WhatsApp Facebook Previous articleWoman rescued from bridge wallNext articleMurder accused found dead in city apartment Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE victim of an aggravated burglary on the outskirts of Limerick city locked herself into her bedroom when a teenager armed with a knife broke into her home and searched for cash, a court has heard.Details of the burglary were heard during a bail application by Jamie Ryan (19) of Pineview Gardens, Moyross at Limerick District Court last week. He is charged with aggravated burglary at a house in Clonisle, Old Cratloe Road on May 3.Before being returned for trial to Limerick Circuit Court, defence solicitor Sarah Ryan renewed her client’s application for bail.Objecting to the application, Detective Garda Ronan O’Reilly said that if he was granted bail he would commit crime to feed a drug habit and repay debts.It was State’s case that Jamie Ryan broke into the house by smashing a back patio door with a rock from the garden. Armed with a knife, he went about the house searching for cash.When she heard the commotion downstairs, the woman who owned the house locked herself in her bedroom and called the Gardaí and threw the keys out the window to the detectives when they arrived.Ms Ryan solicitor said her client would abide by any condition set down by the court if he was granted bail but Judge Marian O’Leary said that she was not satisfied to grant bail and remanded the accused in continuing custody to the next sittings of the Circuit Criminal Court.center_img Linkedin Twitter Print Advertisementlast_img read more

US Navy to promote alternative fuel during RIMPAC

first_img View post tag: Great Green Fleet June 30, 2016 Authorities Back to overview,Home naval-today US Navy promotes alternative fuel during “world’s largest naval drill” View post tag: US Navy Share this article This year’s participants of the international maritime exercise RIMPAC will use about 11.2 million gallons of a 10 percent alternative fuel blend during the exercise, the U.S. Navy said.USS John C. Stennis Strike Group (JCSSG), also called the Great Green Fleet and the U.S. Navy’s pioneer in fuel efficiency measures, arrived in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii June 28 and 29 to take part in the exercise.In 2012, the exercise met one of Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus’ five energy goals, to demonstrate a Green Strike Group operating on alternative fuel. U.S. Navy ships and aircraft used 900,000 gallons of a 50-50 blend of renewable diesel and traditional petroleum as a proof of concept.This year, participating countries will be using the same fuel the John C. Stennis CSG used during the first operational deployment of a GGF strike group.The alternative fuel that will be used during RIMPAC is derived from waste beef fat from the Midwest. Alternative fuels can be made from animal waste oil, algae, or non-food crops. The fuel must be “drop-in,” requiring no modifications to engines or procedures. Having alternative fuel in the supply chain increases operational flexibility by allowing forces to obtain fuel from more sources worldwide.JCSSG, also known as the Navy’s first Great Green Fleet (GGF) strike group, consists of USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) with Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9 and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 21 embarked, guided-missile destroyers USS Stockdale (DDG 106), USS ChungHoon (DDG 93), and USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110), and guided-missile cruiser USS Mobile Bay (CG 53).“The strike group has accomplished our mission in 7th Fleet, fulfilling a vital role in a region the U.S. Navy has operated in for a century and a half,” said Rear Adm. Marcus A. Hitchcock, JCSSG commander. US Navy promotes alternative fuel during “world’s largest naval drill” View post tag: RIMPAClast_img read more

Dodgers following pattern with innings limits for young pitchers

first_imgRoss Stripling didn’t allow a hit for 7 1/3 innings in his major league debut in April. He was removed after throwing his 100th pitch. Stripling, in his first full season back from Tommy John surgery, went to extended spring training in May to preserve his innings.Jose De Leon, a 23-year-old pitcher currently with Oklahoma City, spent the first month of the season in extended spring training. One hundred pitches seems to be the ceiling at Double-A Tulsa; no one has cracked it in a game this season. At advanced Single-A Rancho Cucamonga, 22-year-old pitching prospect Josh Sborz is limited to four innings per start for the remainder of the season. The low Single-A Great Lakes Loons recently used four pitchers in a game, none of whom threw less than two or more than three innings.Willie Calhoun, a second baseman at Double-A Tulsa, acknowledged he’s had some are-we-even-trying-to-win-the-game thoughts too.“A little bit,” he said, “but I try to let (manager Ryan) Garko take care of that. I trust him — which is good.”Around baseball, the mandate to protect young pitchers’ arms didn’t happen overnight.Four years ago, Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg was 23 years old and pitching his first full season following Tommy John surgery. Though healthy, Strasburg never appeared in a game after Sept. 7, having pitched 159 1/3 innings to that point in the season.That was a particularly tough pill to swallow for the 2012 Nationals, who ultimately lost a five-game Division Series to the St. Louis Cardinals with Strasburg on the bench. Speaking at the All-Star Game in San Diego this week, Strasburg admits it “took a few years” for him to make peace with the decision.“At the time I was pretty frustrated,” he said. “Looking back on it now, with the direction the organization’s going, how it’s built for the long haul, I think it’s kind of a tough call — strike when the iron’s hot or potentially deal with the consequences of it?”Ideally, limiting the workloads of Stripling, Urias, De Leon and others now will avoid a Strasburg-like scenario later. Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said there is no “blanket rule” for usage that applies to every pitcher in the organization, but the end result is the same: Stripling, Urias and De Leon might be available to pitch for the Dodgers in September and October, if needed. On the other end of the spectrum are those who deride lighter workloads as harmful and overprotective. In a March interview, Hall of Famer pitcher Goose Gossage claimed that pitch-count limits have led directly to injuries. “The first thing a pitcher does when he comes off the mound is ask: ‘How many pitches do I have?’ If I had asked that f—ing question, they would have said: ‘Son, get your ass out there on that mound. If you get tired, we’ll come and get you’,” Gossage told ESPN.This philosophy has fallen out of favor. In Gossage’s last full season, 1993, eight pitchers threw a total of 250 innings or more. In the last 10 years combined, only three pitchers have reached the 250-inning mark: Justin Verlander (2011), Roy Halladay (2010) and C.C. Sabathia (2008).Friedman believes the egg came before the chicken — that is, the injuries led to innings limits, not the other way around.“A lot of the pitch counts and innings limits were born out of the increase in arm injuries,” he said. “We understood and appreciated all that we don’t know. Teams tend to err on the side of caution.”Even so, Friedman insists he doesn’t intend to shatter the classic model of the “staff workhorse.”“You can definitely build guys up in a methodical way to put 200 to 250 innings on their body,” he said.What will that method look like? The answer is playing out across the minor leagues right now.An underrated obstacle to this process — and a major flaw in Gossage’s theory — is that pitchers who throw more innings at a younger age can thwart any team’s best efforts. By the time a pitcher is drafted (typically between the ages of 17 and 22), there’s no telling how many innings he’s thrown, or whether his body was strong enough to withstand the workload. A pitcher can be run into the ground before a major league organization prescribes its innings limit.Urias is special in this regard, too. The Dodgers have been able to control his workload since his age-16 season — that’s how young Urias was when he threw his first pitch for Great Lakes. He threw 54 1/3, 87 2/3 and 80 1/3 innings his first three professional seasons, not including spring training games.Earlier this week, the National Federation of State High School Associations told members (including California) to adopt a rule regulating the number of pitches a high school pitcher can throw in a game. Maybe the rules regarding pitcher workload will trickle up, too.Scott Boras, Urias’ agent, has an idea of what that might look like.“I think we’re going to have to develop in this business a way to have a pitcher on the roster who can throw 120 innings his first year, 150 the next year, and then get him up to where he can throw 180,” Boras said. “To do that we need a 26th man. Someone has to cover those innings. I think we’re going to find that it’s economically advisable — and great for the development of the young players — to have great talent in the big leagues at a young age but understand you can only use it within limits.” Urias’ usage might be the most prominent example of an evolving trend, one with broad implications — not just for the Dodgers’ top prospect but his teammates, other minor league prospects, and even the future of major league pitching staffs.Jharel Cotton has spent the entire 2016 season on the Oklahoma City roster. Speaking at the Futures Game last weekend in San Diego, he said that watching Urias pitch “is a fun sight to see.” Sometimes that makes Urias’ innings limit difficult to accept.Cotton was asked if he ever wonders whether the Dodgers are trying to win when Urias is yanked in the middle of a shutout. He paused.“I’m so used to hearing that he’s a young guy, 19 years old in Triple-A, I guess I’m stuck on that,” Cotton said. “The kid’s going to be around for a long time. I think it’s going to be a big, long career as a big leaguer. I guess they’re trying to protect him. I don’t know.”It isn’t just Urias. The Dodgers use some variation on an innings or pitches limit at every level of the organization. The Oklahoma City Dodgers were leading the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, 1-0, after six innings of their Pacific Coast League game on May 9. Dodgers pitcher Julio Urias was firmly in command, scattering four hits and three walks in the thin Rocky Mountain air.Urias has usually dominated in Triple-A this year, but this game was special. Security Service Field in Colorado Springs sits at 6,531 feet above sea level, believed to be the highest elevation of any professional ballpark in the United States. In a place where earned-run averages go to die, Urias reached a new height — literally and figuratively.Once Urias was out, the Sky Sox scored seven runs in the seventh inning to put the game out of reach. Oklahoma City lost 7-3. For the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate, this situation was hardly unique.Five times this season Urias has been removed from a shutout with no more than six innings or 85 pitches on his ledger. The 19-year-old left-hander, ever the good soldier, never complains about his workload restriction. He is currently parked in the Oklahoma City bullpen as the Dodgers hope to preserve his remaining innings for later in the season. (He’s currently up to 78 1/3.)center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more