Australian Open: Andy Murray withdraws from Melbourne event due to hip injury

first_imgAndy Murray has decided to pull out of the Australian Open after failing to recover from a hip injury.Murray follows Kei Nishikori, who also announced earlier in the day that he won’t take part in the event and continue his recovery from a wrist injury.The three-time grand slam winner has not played a competitive match since a Wimbledon quarter-final loss last July and despite coming through a one-set exhibition in Abu Dhabi last week, the Briton has decided to focus on rehabilitation.”Sadly I won’t be playing in Melbourne this year, as I am not yet ready to compete,” Murray, a five-times Australian Open runner-up, said in a statement.”I’ll be flying home shortly to assess all the options but I appreciate all the messages of support and I hope to be back playing soon.”The Australian Open will start on January 15 and will go on till 28th of the month.WATCHEarlier, Murray pulled out from Brisbane International with a hip problem that has been troubling him since his Wimbledon quarter-final loss last July against Sam Querrey in a five-set thriller.The former World No. 1, who has since fallen to rank 16, took part in the one-set exhibition match in Abu Dhabi last week, he was unable to train on Tuesday and announced his withdrawal.He had tried to return to competitve Tennis at the US Open in August, before being forced to pull out just two days before the start of the tournament.He joined top-ranked Rafael Nadal, who pulled out last week in a bid to continue his recovery from injury, as notable withdrawals from the season-opening event in Brisbane. He was due to play his first tournament match of the season on Thursday with a second-round encounter against American Ryan Harrison at the Pat Rafter Arena.advertisement”I’m very disappointed to be withdrawing from the Brisbane International,” Murray, who was seeded second in Brisbane, told tournament organisers before going into further detail of his predicament in an emotional post on social media.”Having been recommended to treat my hip conservatively since the US Open, I have done everything asked of me from a rehab perspective and worked extremely hard to try get back on the court competing,” Murray said on his Instagram account.”Having played practice sets here in Brisbane with some top players unfortunately this hasn’t worked yet to get me to the level I would like so I have to reassess my options. Continuing rehab is one option and giving my hip more time to recover.”Surgery is also an option but the chances of a successful outcome are not as high as I would like which has made this my secondary option and my hope has been to avoid that. However, this is something I may have to consider but let’s hope not.”Murray had said that he will remain in Brisbane for the rest of the week before planning his next move.”In the short term I’m going to be staying in Australia for the next couple of days to see if my hip settles down a bit and will decide by the weekend whether to stay out here or fly home to assess what I do next,” the 30-year-old added.With Murray’s latest injury setback, along with two other members of the ‘Big Four’ Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic also struggling with injuries, Australian Open organisers have been majorly hit ahead of the year’s first major in Melbourne.(With inputs from Reuters)ALSO WATCH:last_img read more

Said & Done: ‘People think we’re asset-stripping. It’s absolutely ridiculous’

first_imgFootball Blackpool’s demise makes a mockery of football’s fit and proper persons test Share on Twitter Bolivia: Top-flight club Jorge Wilstermann sacking coach Roberto Mosquera after he picked five foreign players for a game by mistake, invalidating the result and leading to a points deduction. Mosquera: “It’s harsh. I made 141 changes for the Wilstermann. 140 of them were good.”Most respectfulRomania: CSM Poli Iasi coach Flavius Stoican – banned for throwing his coat at a referee while his staff put on pre-prepared “We Want Fair Referees” T-shirts. Stoican said match officials were “feckless and timid, tiny puppies, small, small puppies. No personalities at all.”And best theoryItaly: Serie A Benevento president Oreste Vigorito, reflecting on 12 straight defeats: “This city has historically suffered from witches. That’s where the blame lies.” His message before next Sunday’s game against Sassuolo, where a loss would break Manchester United’s 1930-31 record for defeats at the start of a season: “One thing is certain: we’re staying in Serie A. We will never give up.” Quote of the week Karl Oyston: found to have “illegitimately stripped” Blackpool of £26.77m. The ruling came 10 months after he called fans protesting about asset-stripping “a busted flush … I’m sure they’ll get bored in time. You can only go on so long trotting out the same tired rhetoric. They’re naive, child-like … I pity them.” Topics • Oyston’s other best efforts to change the narrative since 2014: calling a fan “a massive retard … special needs fuctard”; pledging to ban protestors “unless they sign acceptable behaviour orders”; and calling for more respect for his family’s “loyalty and commitment to the club … My father’s a manic Blackpool fan, and he suffers when the club’s not doing well. It really affects him.”• Owen Oyston’s view in May last year on the family’s image: “People think we’re asset-stripping, taking money out – it’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s a pack of lies – it’s the kind of media attacks we’ve had. The media never let the truth interfere with a good story.” His message to fans: “Financially we’ve been a huge success.”MeanwhileYet to work out its line on the case – the EFL: still “reviewing the high court’s decision”. Among the EFL board members in charge of governance during the period when Blackpool were being stripped: Karl Oyston – elected for a third term in 2013, serving to 2015.• Leading the praise for Oyston’s re-election in 2013 – then-EFL chairman, now FA chairman Greg Clarke: “It’s a pleasure to welcome Karl back to the board. Over the coming years his experience will be invaluable in shaping our organisation.”Other news: freshest startFifa – rewriting their 2026 World Cup bidding process to stop countries being exploited. One clause that survived the edit: “Governments must grant a general tax exemption for Fifa … and [all] Fifa subsidiaries, limited to the period of preparation, delivery and wrap-up, ending on 31 December 2028.”Probe of the weekSwiss prosecutors, investigating who left a €20k Cartier watch “under Jérôme Valcke’s hotel pillow” in Doha in 2015. Lawyers for PSG and BeIN president Nasser Al-Khelaifi denied he was behind it – telling Le Parisien such gifts are part of Qatar’s standard “protocol service” for visitors. Both deny wrongdoing.Still smartingLazio communications head Arturo Diaconale – identifying why the media “overplayed” coverage of their fans mocking the Holocaust last month. “This team, this club has grown in ways no one imagined – and that has provoked envy.”• Also feeling resented: Nottingham Forest’s EFL-endorsed owner Evangelos Marinakis, standing down as head of Olympiakos to fight “baseless” Greek match-fixing charges. Marinakis says the charges were motivated by “envy … My innocence will be proven.” Said and done David Squires on … football and poppygate 2017 Win of the weekBrazil: Vasco president Eurico Miranda, 73 – re-elected on a traditional values ticket, including: “Football is a man thing. That’s why I’m against gays and women.” Miranda denied “sad claims” he rigged the vote with a “suspect ballot box”: “This was all done with the greatest transparency, including the adding up.”• His other headline policy, set out in February: “I’m against gay referees. I’ve got nothing against gays, just fags, the flamboyant fags, all full of themselves. They’re going to be biased for the players they fancy.”Apologies of the week1) Colombia FA officials, “sincerely sorry” after Adidas used Bayern’s James Rodríguez to model the new Colombia men’s kit, and Miss Universe 2014, Pauline Vega, to model the women’s. “This was an involuntary error. The women of the national team are in our hearts.”2) Colombia’s Edwin Cardona, responding to condemnation of his “slant eye gesture” at South Korea players. “I meant no disrespect to anyone, country or race. If anyone interpreted it that way, I’m sorry.” Coach José Pékerman: “It was a physical game. Things happen during a game like this.” Arley Durán Gómez (@arleydeportes)El gesto de Cardona a los coreanos…. pic.twitter.com/CHdvVjK6e4November 10, 2017 Share on Pinterest features Twitter Share on WhatsApp Facebook center_img Share on LinkedIn Read more Pinterest Blackpool Share on Facebook Football politics Manager news: changing times2008: Karren Brady on David Moyes’s new Everton deal: “£65,000-a-week seems a lot for a man whose only honours in six years are some Manager of the Month awards … Moyes had Bill Kenwright on toast.” 2017: Hands him a six-month deal with £2m bonus.• Also making changes:Argentina, 7 Nov: Arsenal de Sarandi coach Humberto Grondona – son of late Fifa racketeer Julio – announcing his “irrevocable resignation”, then revoking it four hours later. “I regretted it, so I returned. Arsenal’s my home. I just get tired, you know?”Belgium, 17 Oct: AS Eupen managing director Christoph Henkel, easing pressure on coach Jordi Condom. “It’s up to the players to question themselves, not always to complain about the coach. Condom stays.” 6 Nov: Condom goes. David Conn Reuse this content Envied: Evangelos Marinakis, centre. Photograph: Giorgos Mattheos/AFP/Getty Images Fifa Read more Share on Messenger Share via Emaillast_img read more