3 months laterRural Constable Tony George, attached to the Community Policing Group (CPG) at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara, on Monday found himself before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan, facing a charge of murder committed on Ricardo Singh.Murder accused: Tony GeorgeThe charge alleges that the 28-year-old George murdered the 15-year-old Singh of Diamond, East Bank Demerara on July 9, 2018, in the vicinity of the Soesdyke Public Road.According to Police Prosecutor Simone Payne, the victim was with several friends at a wedding house at Soesdyke, EBD on July 9, when an altercation ensued.Singh was subsequently arrested by George, and was later placed in the tray of the Police vehicle to be escorted to the Police Station. The Prosecution is contending that the accused and another male Rural Constable were on their way to the Police station when George allegedly stopped the vehicle, exited with the teen, and reportedly told the driver to leave.It was further alleged that, upon returning with several other officers, the Police driver found the teen with a stab wound to the abdomen, and George standing looking on in the presence of residents.However, defence attorney for George, Dexter Todd, informed the court that according to one of his client’s statements, filed by the Police, George had acted lawfully as an enforcement officer.Dead: Ricardo SinghGeorge has been remanded to prison until October 23.The body of 15-year-old Ricardo Singh, also called “Cardo”, was discovered in the wee hours of July 9 with several stab wounds, including one to his abdomen.Based on reports received, the former Diamond Secondary School student and his friends had left their respective homes on that dreaded Sunday with the intention of “taking a lime” at the Linden-Soesdyke Highway Junction, but had instead gone to the wedding house, which was close by.However, while there, a gang of men had allegedly attempted to relieve one of the teen’s friends of his gold chain and cash, resulting in the now dead teen intervening. His friend, whom he was helping, reportedly ran away leaving him behind.The young man, who would have been celebrating his 16th birthday three days after that incident, was subsequently found in a nearby trench with his intestines protruding. He was picked up and taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.According to Singh’s mother, her son had left home riding his pedal cycle just after noon that day with intention to meet his friends. The grieving mother related that, as night fell, she called her son several times on his mobile phone, but her calls went unanswered.His father had also attempted to call the young man, but to no avail. The devastated woman recalled her son’s friend visiting their home at about 08:00h and relating that the young man had been stabbed.Upon receiving the news, the teen’s father had contacted the Police, and had subsequently visited the Lyken Funeral Home, where he had positively identified his son. The woman noted that the friend with whom her son had gone to the wedding house had later been taken into custody.Meanwhile, this publication had reported that the young man had been misbehaving at the wedding house, and the Police had been called in to intervene. However, at the time, members of the Community Policing Group (CPG) had been patrolling the area, and as such, they had reportedly arrested the young man.
0Shares0000Eden Hazard is yet to sign a new contract at Chelsea © AFP/File / Glyn KIRKMADRID, Spain, Apr 5 – Zinedine Zidane expressed his admiration for Eden Hazard on Friday ahead of an expected move for the Chelsea forward from Real Madrid this summer.Hazard’s contract expires in June 2020 and he is yet to sign a new deal, leaving Chelsea in a difficult position if they want to avoid losing the Belgian for free. After last year’s World Cup, he admitted “it might be time for something different” while in October, he said it would be a “dream” to play for Real Madrid, “the best club in the world”.Asked about Hazard at a press conference before Madrid’s La Liga game against Eibar on Saturday, Zidane said: “He is a player I have always rated, as everyone knows.“He is a player that has played in France, that I have watched a lot and that I know personally. There’s nothing new about what I think of him as a player. He’s a fantastic player.”Real Madrid have certainly struggled for goals this season.They have scored 26 fewer than Barcelona in the league and rarely threatened Valencia on Tuesday, when they were beaten 2-1 at Mestalla.“I know the numbers and it has cost us,” Zidane said. “This year we have had difficulty scoring. Will we change things? Yes.”Barcelona play at home to second-placed Atletico Madrid on Saturday, meaning Real can close the gap on the top two if they overcome Eibar at the Santiago Bernabeu.But they are five points behind Atleti and 13 adrift of Barca while the loss to Valencia in midweek exposed their weaknesses both in attack and defence.“I’m not worried,” Zidane said. “This season has been difficult and I cannot say in two minutes what has happened but there are things that you have to accept.“We know what all these players have won, not just in my time, but in the last five, six, seven years. We are going to try to turn it around, the club needs change, to win again, to do great things and that’s what I’m here for.“Our problems on the pitch? We accept them. Fewer people in the stadium? We accept it. But we must not forget what these players have done either. I’m not worried at all.”Dani Carvajal returned to training on Friday after recovering from a thigh injury but Thibaut Courtois is unlikely to be available after missing the session, along with Vinicius Junior and Marcos Llorente.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)