Police response at issue in probe of journalist’s unexplained death

first_imgA few weeks before the tragedy, Quiroz reported to the Foundation for Press Freedom, a partner of Reporters Without Borders, that he had received threats over an article he published in September. He also complained about the lack of police response and arguments with officials over this attitude. News December 3, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Police response at issue in probe of journalist’s unexplained death Organisation RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia ColombiaAmericas RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America April 27, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Colombia 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies RSF_en Interviewed in hospital later that day, Quiroz himself denied the police officers’ account. He said he was forced into the vehicle then hit violently on the head before being pushed out of the moving truck. News The departmental police said in a press statement that Quiroz was taking part in the demonstration and that he was picked up because he behaved aggressively towards the officers who had stopped him. They also said the journalist assaulted an officer inside the police truck then jumped out of the vehicle to avoid being brought before the public prosecutor charged with assaulting a public official. Reporters Without Borders calls for a full investigation into the circumstances of the death of the journalist Guillermo Quiroz Delgado on 27 November. The organization offers its condolences to his friends and family. The 31-year-old freelance journalist died after spending a week in intensive care in Maria Reina clinic in Sincelejo. He suffered severe injuries, particularly to the head, after falling from a moving police vehicle during a demonstration a week earlier in San Pedro, in Sucre department. General Rodolfo Palomino, head of public safety for the national police, went in person to offer his condolences to the victim’s family on 1 December. Brigadier General Santiago Parra Rubiano, inspector general of the national police, said the three officers present in the truck at the time of the tragedy had been suspended and were under investigation. “The apparent goodwill shown by the police high command is, alas, somewhat late,” said Reporters Without Borders. “The worst has happened and justice authorities are no longer able to deal directly with the participants in the tragedy, or compare their respective versions of events. However, the investigation must continue, without any pressure. The family of Guillermo Quiroz is entitled to the truth and General Palomino’s action should be taken as a promise to provide it.” Quiroz went to San Pedro to report on a local protest against the energy multinational Pacific Rubiales on 20 November. He was stopped by the police on the grounds that his motorcycle documents were not in order and was put into a police vehicle. News May 13, 2021 Find out more to go further Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts Reports ColombiaAmericas October 21, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Sinn Féin councillors’ concern over condition of Mill Road surface

first_imgIs Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Cllr John Costelloe, Mill Road resident Marie Lysaght and Cllr Sharon Benson at location.Councillors John Costelloe and Sharon Benson are demanding that Limerick Council take immediate action to reinstate the road surface near the entrance to Meadow Brooke at the Mill Road, Corbally. A large part of the road is not properly surfaced and is several inches below the rest of the road for about fifty meters, giving rise to a dangerous lip.The Sinn Féin Councillors are concerned that as well as damaging cars that this uneven surface and lip also presents a serious safety issue for cyclists.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Councillor Costelloe said, “We have been approached by numerous residents in recent weeks who are demanding that this be sorted out. Cyclists, in particular, are at risk from this uneven surface and the thick plums of dust which are coming from it with every gust of wind.”Mill Road resident Marie Lysaght who regularly cycles the Mill Road has told the Councillors that she considers the road conditions to be hazardous.Cllr Sharon Benson said, “The Council need to sort this out before people will need four wheel drives to traverse this road.  It cannot be good for car suspensions and tires to say the very least while it is positively dangerous for those brave enough to try cycle along it. This road needs to be fixed before somebody get seriously injured or even worse.”A spokesman for Limerick City and County Council responded saying, “The Mill Road is in poor condition as a result of private development works approved under a Road Opening Licence issued by Limerick City and County Council.“We are greatly concerned about the issue and Engineering staff from our Licencing team are actively engaging with the developer. They have been advised of our concerns regarding the condition of the road and the unacceptable delay in rectifying the road condition.“Correspondence has issued to the developer to this effect and the consequences of a failure to address the road as matter of urgency has been advised to the contractor.” Facebook Twitter Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Email Previous articleFILM REVIEW: The Dead Don’t DieNext articleEmma’s biggest Irish concert – 700 seater at Rosbrien Pavilion Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites center_img WhatsApp Print Linkedin Limerick on Covid watch list TAGSLimerick City and CountyNewspoliticsTransport Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat NewsPoliticsTransportSinn Féin councillors’ concern over condition of Mill Road surfaceBy Cian Reinhardt – June 21, 2019 116 Advertisementlast_img read more

Greetings! Oh, Hello’s John Mulaney & Nick Kroll Meet the Press

first_img Related Shows View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 22, 2017 Just weeks before taking the Broadway stage, George St. Geegland and Gil Faizon took the podium. Comedians John Mulaney and Nick Kroll played the crotchety characters at a mock press conference on September 8. Following Oh, Hello’s wildly popular off-Broadway run last fall, the duo will make their debuts on the Great White Way beginning on September 23. Alex Timbers, who was recently announced to be at the helm of Moulin Rouge!’s in-the-works stage adaptation, directs Mulaney and Kroll’s two-man comedy, which features them as their outrageously opinionated, 70-something characters carrying out both scripted and improvised hilarity. Opening night is set for October 10 at the Lyceum Theatre, so be sure to check out the pics and prepare for a laugh attack!center_img John Mulaney & Nick Kroll(Photo: Emilio Madrid-Kuser) Oh, Hello on Broadwaylast_img read more