Receive email alerts December 31, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Independent Siberian TV station’s forced closure imminent News One of western Siberia’s few independent TV stations, Tomsk-based TV-2, will have to end over-the-air broadcasting at midnight tonight, after covering news in the region for 23 years, because the local branch of the state telecommunications network RTRS, which has an over-the-air transmission monopoly, has rescinded its contract.Thereafter, TV-2 will be limited to transmission by cable until early February, when it will probably have to end all forms of broadcasting. The past year has been marked by growing pressure on Russian media that are not under the Kremlin’s direct control. The pressure has above all been felt at the federal level, targeting such broadcasters as radio Ekho Moskvy, information website Russkaya Planeta and TV station Dozhd, but regional broadcasters have not been spared.RTRS notified TV-2 at the end of the November of the decision to end its contract – one that is tantamount to a death sentence. In a press release, RTRS said the decision was taken because TV-2 had “contravened” an agreement, alluding to TV-2’s reaction to a previous closure threat.When RTRS suspended transmission of TV-2’s signal for several weeks in April after a malfunction of the transmission equipment owned by RTRS, Roskomnadzor, the federal communications surveillance agency, threatened to strip TV-2 of its licence if broadcasting did not resume promptly.A wave of demonstrations in support of TV-2 prevented the threat from being carried out. But an RTRS representative told the business daily Vedomosti on 24 December that it could no longer contemplate working with a partner that turned a technical incident into a political issue and used it to mobilize social and media support.TV-2 said RTRS’s decision was “absurd” and “legally unfounded” because it had two valid licences.But, after RTRS’s decision, Roskomnadzor in turn rescinded its previously announced decision – confirmed in November – to extend TV-2’s licence until 2025, explaining that the earlier announcement had been due to a technical error. May 5, 2021 Find out more May 21, 2021 Find out more News RussiaEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more to go further Follow the news on Russia RussiaEurope – Central Asia Help by sharing this information As a result, after its over-the-air signal is turned off at midnight, TV-2 will have to terminate broadcasting by cable on 8 February if Roskomnadzor does not change its mind.TV-2 has filed a suit against both RTRS and Roskomnadzor. The first hearing in the case is scheduled for 21 January.“We condemn this unilateral and arbitrary decision, which threatens the existence of an independent regional news outlet,” Reporters Without Borders programme director Lucie Morillon said. “Disguised as an administrative dispute, it constitutes a grave violation of the right to information and endangers media pluralism. We urge the local authorities and the head of Roskomnadzor to stop persecuting TV-2 and to restore the necessary conditions for it to continue operating in the region.”Protests against TV-2’s imminent closure have been staged in Tomsk. More than 4,000 people took part in the first one on 14 December. Demonstrations in support of the station were held again in Tomsk and in Moscow on 21 December, each with several thousand participants.A TV-2 petition with 15,000 signatures, denouncing the station’s closure, was sent to the president’s office, which acknowledged receipt and undertook to respond by 21 February, thereby violating a legal obligation to respond with 30 days of receipt.TV-2 has received many awards – including 23 Russian Broadcasting TEFI prizes – for the quality of its regional news coverage and its respect for journalistic ethics since it began broadcasting in 1991. Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown News RSF_en News Two Russian journalists persecuted for investigating police corruption Listed as a “foreign agent”, Russia’s most popular independent website risks disappearing Organisation
Home » News » Housing Market » Stamp Duty deadline for landlords creates glut in property rental market previous nextHousing MarketStamp Duty deadline for landlords creates glut in property rental marketSurprising figures are revealed by Rightmove within latest research.Nigel Lewis7th April 201701,206 Views A glut of homes created by last year’s landlord rush to buy before the extra ‘second home’ Stamp Duty kicked in has slowed down the rental market significantly, it has been claimed.In the UK letting agents are taking 10% longer to find tenants, and 20% longer in London, says Rightmove, as the number of properties available to rent on the portal increased by 12%.Rental market growth halvesThis has halved the rental growth figure for the first quarter of 2017 compared to the same period last year, down from 3.9% to 1.8% across the UK, Rightmove says.And outside London, the average rental price dropped for the first time since 2014, down by 0.4% on the previous quarter, while in London they increased by 1.5% compared using the same comparison.“The supply boost following last year’s buy-to-let frenzy in the first few months of the year has continued through to 2017, introducing more competition in the market for letting agents trying to secure suitable tenants for their landlords’ properties,” says Rightmove’s Head of Lettings Sam Mitchell (pictured, left).Sam, who before joining Rightmove was for a short period CEO of Sotheby’s International Realty and before that worked at Your Move and Foxtons, says the extra choice in the market is driving these figures.But he also says that the new tax relief reductions being phased in this month may re-balance the stock as more landlords sell-up and exit the market.rightmov Sam Mitchell Rightmove April 7, 2017Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021
BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The Binghamton Police Department will be cracking down on large gatherings in accordance with the mandates set in place by Gov. Andrew Cuomo Monday morning. In a Facebook post addressed to Binghamton University students, Binghamton Police Chief Joseph T. Zikuski says the department will enforce applicable state and local ordinances put on social gatherings. For more coronavirus coverage, click here. The police department says it discourages all campus fraternities, sororities and other college groups from organizing. On Monday morning, Governor Cuomo announced a ban on gatherings of over 50 people.
The International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) has received strong support for the reintroduction of the concept of ‘prudence’ into its conceptual framework – but little clear direction on how it should do so.According to a staff summary of comment letters on the board’s recently issued exposure draft, some three-quarters of respondents commented on plans to bring back an an explicit reference to prudence.The IASB removed the concept from the 2010 iteration of its framework.But whatever path the board takes on the issue over the course of its new deliberations, one board member warned it against “playing games” with words. Speaking during the 15 March meeting, Patrick Finnegan said: “The problem we have right now is [that] the definition of ‘prudence’ in a dictionary … is more consistent with asymmetric prudence than it is with the IASB’s proposed definition.“My advice is to describe what you mean more precisely. Don’t use a word imprecisely. Don’t say something is something that it is not. And that’s what we’re doing right now.”His comments came as the London-based accounting rule-maker considered a staff summary of comments on its October 2015 exposure draft.The board announced its conceptual framework project in 2011.A discussion paper followed in July 2013.The project is of keen interest to many long-term investors in the UK arguing that accounting standards should emphasise conservatism and caution.In particular, they want to see more timely recognition of losses and a more cautious approach to assets – especially where there is measurement uncertainty over the availability of an asset.The IASB received 233 comment letters on its latest exposure draft.Staff reported that constituents generally viewed the conceptual framework project as ‘high priority’.In particular, they saw the exposure draft as “a significant improvement on both the existing conceptual framework and the proposals in the discussion paper.”The project is not a fundamental rework of the framework – rather it updates, clarifies and fills in gaps in the existing framework.The early signs are that the board’s new deliberations in the coming months will focus on the tensions between prudence in the form of so-called cautious prudence or prudence as asymmetric prudence.The IASB defined prudence in its exposure draft as caution when making judgements under conditions of uncertainty – but without exercising more caution when recognising gains and assets than losses and liabilities.Under the competing asymmetric approach to prudence, a business would recognise losses sooner than it would recognise gains.Fundamentally, the reintroduction of prudence – even as the IASB has currently defined it – could be expected to lead to the delayed recognition of gains where there is measurement uncertainty.Nonetheless, a leading accounting academic and former IASB staffer slammed the proposals as being essentially meaningless.In a 21 November comment letter, professor Richard Baker from Oxford University’s Said Business School wrote: “This approach is … fundamentally flawed. The reason is that it introduces a ‘concept’ into the framework that is not really a concept at all. At best, this achieves nothing – at worst, it leads to confusion.” He added: “The problem is that prudence is in substance defined in a way that adds nothing to the concept of neutrality. As defined, prudence essentially means ‘make sure to be neutral’.“Given that the framework defines neutrality already, there is nothing to be gained from the introduction of an additional ‘concept’ that has no distinctive meaning.”The UK Financial Reporting Council has also called on the IASB to bite the bullet and adopt asymmetric prudence.The reintroduction to the Conceptual Framework of a specific reference to prudence is very welcome.However, the treatment of it in the exposure draft — as support for the idea of neutrality — is wholly inadequate.“The essence of prudence is the idea referred to in the Basis for Conclusions as ‘asymmetric prudence’ — a lower threshold for the recognition of liabilities and losses than for assets and gains — which is absent from the text of the draft Conceptual Framework itself.”The IASB is expected to fix the future strategy for finalising the conceptual framework project at its April meeting.
The B&H basketball team will perform in the A-group in the qualifications for the European Championship in Ukraine, together with Great Britain and Iceland. This was decided today in the group draws in Barcelona.The qualifications will take place in August, and the winners of 7 groups and 6 second qualified representations will perform at the Euro-basket.The group schedule is:A-group: B&H, Great Britain, IcelandB-group: Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, NetherlandsC-group: Germany, Poland, Austria, LuxemburgD-group: Belgium, Macedonia, Belarus, DenmarkE-group: Czech Republic, Georgia, Portugal, HungaryF-group: Latvia, Sweden, Slovakia, RomaniaG-group: Italy, Russia, SwitzerlandDirect qualification in Euro-basket, besides the host Ukraine, will be France, Lithuania, Spain, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Finland, Greece, Turkey and Estonia.(Source: Fena)
Cheshire Hall Medical Centre: +1 649 -941- 2800 Ext: 70201/70202Cockburn Town Medical Centre: +1 649 -941- 2900 Ext: 61302/60400 Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. SMS Appointment notifications will be distributed to persons with affected appointments tomorrow morning. Please contact our Patient Services Department to reschedule if you do not receive an SMS update. Simply call the appointment number for the appropriate site below. The Outpatient Department and other scheduled clinics at both healthcare facilities will commence at 8:00am tomorrow, Thursday, October 6th, 2016. The Emergency Department remains open 24-hours as usual. The effects of Hurricane Matthew on Turks and Caicos Islands has been minimal. TCI Hospital remains committed to ensuring the safety of patients and staff at all times. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppPROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands, (Wednesday, October 5th, 2016) – The Turks and Caicos Islands Hospital wishes to announce the resumption of normal operations at Cheshire Hall Medical Centre and Cockburn Town Medical Centre following the passage of Hurricane Matthew.