Lakome news website still blocked despite editor’s repeated requests

first_img Help by sharing this information News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance February 20, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Lakome news website still blocked despite editor’s repeated requests Reporters Without Borders reiterates its call for an end to government blocking of the Lakome news website, in effect since 17 October, and the withdrawal of all charges against Ali Anouzla, the editor of the site’s Arabic-language version.“The authorities are clearly stalling, both by not responding to Anouzla’s request for the censorship to be lifted and by repeatedly postponing his appearance before an investigating judge,” said Reporters Without Borders head of research Lucie Morillon.“No one will be fooled by this policy. Morocco manifestly deserves its poor position – 136th out of 180 countries – in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.”Lakome was blocked on 17 October, shortly after Anouzla, who had been held since 17 September, issued a statement saying that he was unable to take responsibility for what was posted on the site while he was in detention and therefore requested its “temporary suspension.”The authorities went far beyond what Anouzla requested because access to both the Arabic and French-language versions of Lakome has been blocked ever since.Anouzla has repeatedly sought the lifting of the blocking since his release on 25 October after five weeks in “preventive detention.” On 7 January, he submitted a request to this effect to the National Agency for Telecommunications Regulation (ANRT), which subsequently told him by phone that he should address his request to the prosecutor’s office. Anouzla has received no response to the request to the prosecutor’s office that he submitted in early January.At a news conference in Rabat yesterday, a day after his appearance before the investigating judge was postponed yet again, this time until 20 May, Anouzla announced his intention to launch a new news website, Lakome2.com.Anouzla also reported at the news conference that he and Aboubakr Jamaï, the editor of Lakome’s French-language version, have been chosen for the Washington-based Project on Middle East Democracy’s “Leaders for Democracy” award, which will be presented at a ceremony in Washington on 8 May. News Read these previous press releases: – Before King Mohammed travelled to Washington on 22 November – Before US Secretary of State John Kerry’s scheduled visit to Morocco on 11-12 November (which was finally cancelled) – Before French foreign minister Laurent Fabius’ meeting with his Moroccan counterpart as part of the 5+5 dialogue on 23 October – A joint appeal by 60 human rights organizations on 10 October RSF_en Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa June 8, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts to go further Hunger strike is last resort for some imprisoned Moroccan journalists NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News Organisation Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa April 28, 2021 Find out more News Follow the news on Morocco / Western Sahara April 15, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Hearing Officer Approves CUP for Annandale Canyon Access Trail

first_img Subscribe Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. 1410 Wierfield Drive Photo courtesy Google MapsA city hearing officer approved a conditional use permit (CUP) that will allow for the establishment of a “park and recreation facility” land use designation at 1410 Wierfield Drive.“The one argument that was raised on several occasions by some of the opponents was there was a citation in the application to the conservancy that talked about the preservation of the property,” said Hearing Officer Paul Novak.“I would add there was nothing that I saw in the documents associated with that grant that would have in any way prohibited what’s being discussed herein,” Novak said.The CUP will facilitate pedestrian access to Annandale Canyon as part of the Annandale Canyon Open Space Trail Access Improvement Project.The project includes a parking lot for six cars at the end of Wierfield Drive, a trailhead, a trail, and an observation point, according to a report on the proposal.“I ardently support the plan to afford public access to a park and recreation facility in Annandale Canyon,” said Roger Wolf in correspondence to the hearing officer.“As one among the principal group of neighbors who worked to preserve this open space, we recognized that enabling our fellow citizens to enjoy and appreciate this last vestige of natural habitat in our backyard is essential to preserving its existence,” Wolf wrote.“Actually, most advocates for aborting the project still want to preserve this precious patch of wildland. Their objections center around a list of potential dangers (fire risk, homeless encampments, crime, littering etc.), all of which are and will be existing problems of the same scale, independent of creation of a park facility. The minimal adverse effects of this project are far outweighed by the potential benefits to our local community.”Several opponents of the project claimed it could increase fire risk and could lead to homeless encampments in the area.“The potential for fire danger is my biggest concern if the canyon becomes accessible to the public,” said Darlene Smith.The trail will be gated during the construction phase. Per the approval of the CUP, signs will be posted prohibiting overnight camping and notifying motorists that their cars are subject to impound if they are in the parking lot at closing time. An emergency communications box could also be placed along the rail.The trailhead would include a bench, a combination trash/recycling receptacle, a series of boulders along both sides of the parking lot, and a security gate to prevent vehicle access after-hours.The 23-acre project site is currently undeveloped and includes an abandoned unpaved graded access road extending to the north from Wierfield Drive that is overgrown in many areas.The proposed trail will be 2,350 feet in length and three to five feet in width depending on any given point along the trail and the terrain and vegetation constraints.The trial will also incorporate the existing abandoned unpaved graded access road, with the exception of the proposed creek crossing, where the trail will utilize a portion of the existing trail.A wooden pedestrian bridge will be built at one drainage site and a proposed observation point would be located atop the San Rafael Hills. The observation point would include installation of a bench, interpretive signs, perimeter railing, and boulders.Upon completion of the project, maintenance of the trail, trailhead, and observation point would occur on an annual basis. Such maintenance would include the removal of trash and debris, trimming of vegetation that may infringe on the accessibility of the trail, and minor trail repairs and improvements for the trail’s overall maintenance. Community News Business News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena More Cool Stuff Top of the News STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy center_img STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week Community News Hearing Officer Approves CUP for Annandale Canyon Access Trail By ANDRÉ COLEMAN, Managing Editor Published on Thursday, May 6, 2021 | 2:41 pm faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Donald CommunityPCC- COMMUNITYVirtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Herbeauty7 Most Startling Movie Moments We Didn’t Realize Were InsensitiveHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty15 Countries Where Men Have Difficulties Finding A WifeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyYou Can’t Wear Just Anything If You’re The President’s DaughterHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Of The Most Notorious Female Spies In HistoryHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyEverything You Need To Know About This Two-Hour ProcedureHerbeautyHerbeauty 19 recommended1 commentShareShareTweetSharePin it Make a comment CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Community Newslast_img read more

Clippers looking to ‘reshape’ roster during offseason that promises change

first_imgPLAYA VISTA — Lawrence Frank, the Clippers’ president of basketball operations, had a flight to catch to continue scouting players for the NBA draft June 21. Doc Rivers, the Clippers’ coach, had a tee time scheduled. A few players came and went at the team’s practice facility.The finality of the offseason arrived with a resounding thud.Instead of going to the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season, the Clippers went their separate ways Thursday. There was work for some, rest and recovery for others and ongoing medical treatment for those rehabilitating injuries that derailed the Clippers’ season.What’s next for a team that finished 42-40, 10th in the Western Conference? “We’ll continue to have a dialogue with D.J. and his agent,” Frank said when asked how confident he was in keeping Jordan. “There is a contract for him here for next season. We’ll continue to have conversations. D.J. is one of the elite rim protectors and rebounders, and has been here his entire career.“So, we’ll deal with that as we progress through the offseason.”Free agency doesn’t begin until July 1.For now, the Clippers’ priority is the draft and the possibility of two lottery picks. The Clippers have their own pick and the one they received from the Detroit Pistons in the trade for Griffin, which also netted them Bradley, Harris and Marjanovic. The Pistons’ pick is protected if it falls in the top four, though.“There’s really good odds we’ll have two lottery picks, barring Detroit getting the No. 1 or a top-three pick,” Frank said. “We’ve spent a lot of time on talent evaluation and intel gathering to make sure, again, that the guys we draft fit with what we’re talking about.“We want to build something sustainable. We want to be really good for a really long time.” Above all, the 2018-19 Clippers will not look like the 2017-18 Clippers. Some players might depart via free agency and others might arrive because of it and because of the draft. The Clippers have salary cap space and, potentially, two lottery picks.Sam Dekker, Jawun Evans, Danilo Gallinari, Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, Sindarius Thornwell, C.J. Williams and Lou Williams are under contract for next season. Wesley Johnson, DeAndre Jordan, Austin Rivers and Milos Teodosic can opt out of their contracts.Avery Bradley, Montrezl Harrell and Tyrone Wallace can become free agents.Doc Rivers has one season remaining on his contract and he’s uncertain about his future with a team that’s in the midst of an ongoing “reshaping,” as Frank termed it. Frank bristled when a reporter used the word “reboot” when describing the roster overhaul.“Reboot is starting over,” Frank said. “We’re not waving the flag. We’re not going into the tank.” The Celtics’ rebuilding project was what drove Rivers from Boston and to the Clippers in 2013.“Honestly, it’s a place I enjoy being at,” Rivers said of coaching the Clippers. “That enjoyment goes up and down all the time. (But) I like the changes we’ve made. I like where we’re headed. I don’t think people understand how hard it is even when you have all your talent on the floor to make it work.“But I accepted a long time ago that when you coach you work. You don’t get a lot of rest. You work until it’s over, until that season’s over. Then you start rebuilding for the next year. That’s just what you do, but I love doing it. My staff likes doing it, as well.”Perhaps the biggest question facing the Clippers’ front office is whether Jordan, the last member of Lob City after Chris Paul was traded last June and Blake Griffin was dealt in January, will choose to leave. Jordan can opt out of the final season and $24 million of his contract and become a free agent.Jordan wouldn’t reveal his plans.“Whenever that time comes, we’ll address it, and figure out what’s the best option for me and my family and my career,” he said of possibly opting out and signing elsewhere. “I want to be where I’m wanted and I want to continue my career where I have a chance to contend and win again.“That’s really what I’m looking at.”Frank and Rivers each acknowledged a desire to retain the services of Jordan, who has spent all 10 of his NBA seasons with the Clippers and continued his growth and maturity in 2017-18, emerging as a team leader in the wake of the departures of Paul and Griffin.Related Articles Clippers vs. Mavericks Game 5 playoff updates from NBA beat reporters Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img Kristaps Porzingis ruled out as Clippers, Mavericks set for Game 5; Follow for game updates What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum last_img read more