Help by sharing this information News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance February 20, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Lakome news website still blocked despite editor’s repeated requests Reporters Without Borders reiterates its call for an end to government blocking of the Lakome news website, in effect since 17 October, and the withdrawal of all charges against Ali Anouzla, the editor of the site’s Arabic-language version.“The authorities are clearly stalling, both by not responding to Anouzla’s request for the censorship to be lifted and by repeatedly postponing his appearance before an investigating judge,” said Reporters Without Borders head of research Lucie Morillon.“No one will be fooled by this policy. Morocco manifestly deserves its poor position – 136th out of 180 countries – in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.”Lakome was blocked on 17 October, shortly after Anouzla, who had been held since 17 September, issued a statement saying that he was unable to take responsibility for what was posted on the site while he was in detention and therefore requested its “temporary suspension.”The authorities went far beyond what Anouzla requested because access to both the Arabic and French-language versions of Lakome has been blocked ever since.Anouzla has repeatedly sought the lifting of the blocking since his release on 25 October after five weeks in “preventive detention.” On 7 January, he submitted a request to this effect to the National Agency for Telecommunications Regulation (ANRT), which subsequently told him by phone that he should address his request to the prosecutor’s office. Anouzla has received no response to the request to the prosecutor’s office that he submitted in early January.At a news conference in Rabat yesterday, a day after his appearance before the investigating judge was postponed yet again, this time until 20 May, Anouzla announced his intention to launch a new news website, Lakome2.com.Anouzla also reported at the news conference that he and Aboubakr Jamaï, the editor of Lakome’s French-language version, have been chosen for the Washington-based Project on Middle East Democracy’s “Leaders for Democracy” award, which will be presented at a ceremony in Washington on 8 May. News Read these previous press releases: – Before King Mohammed travelled to Washington on 22 November – Before US Secretary of State John Kerry’s scheduled visit to Morocco on 11-12 November (which was finally cancelled) – Before French foreign minister Laurent Fabius’ meeting with his Moroccan counterpart as part of the 5+5 dialogue on 23 October – A joint appeal by 60 human rights organizations on 10 October RSF_en Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa June 8, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts to go further Hunger strike is last resort for some imprisoned Moroccan journalists NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News Organisation Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa April 28, 2021 Find out more News Follow the news on Morocco / Western Sahara April 15, 2021 Find out more
News June 4, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Press freedom activist Liu Xiaobo manhandled by Beijing police RSF_en Organisation ChinaAsia – Pacific Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes June 2, 2021 Find out more China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison ChinaAsia – Pacific April 27, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts News to go further News Reporters Without Borders strongly condemns the way police officers manhandled, detained and threatened writer and press freedom activist Liu Xiaobo this evening as he was leaving his Beijing home with his wife, Liu Xia, to go and have dinner at someone else’s home. The police grabbed him by the head, neck and arm, led him away and held him for several hours. They finally escorted him back to his home and told him he could not go out.The press freedom organisation stresses its support for Liu, who in 2004 was awarded the Reporters Without Borders – Fondation de France prize for defending freedom.“The behaviour of these police officers on the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre shows that, 19 years later, the authorities continue to crack down on those who campaign peacefully for the rehabilitation of the victims of the events of 4 June 1989,” Reporters Without Borders said.Liu is a leading human rights figure. His writings include an essay condemning the frequent use of subversion charges – which are brought against many cyber-dissidents – as a “legal aberration.”Liu spent two years in prison after publicly defending the June 1989 pro-democracy movement. He was sentenced to another three years of reeducation through work in 1996 for questioning the Communist Party’s monopoly of party political activity. Help by sharing this information News China’s Cyber Censorship Figures Follow the news on China March 12, 2021 Find out more
Email Members of Charlotte Catholic High School Band. Photo: Cian ReinhardtCHARLOTTE Catholic High School, North Carolina, USA have been named as the overall winners of the 49th Limerick International Band Championship – Ireland’s only marching band competition.Thousands of spectators braved the rain and wind in Limerick City as they cheered and supported the 1,300 musicians from 20 bands who took part in this year’s event.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Bands from the United States, Estonia, England, Northern Ireland, Limerick and across Ireland marched down O’Connell Street in Limerick as part of the Limerick St Patrick’s Festival 2019.Mayor of the City and County of Limerick, Cllr James Collins said, “There was high energy and high entertainment. The people of Limerick came out to support it again despite the weather. The rain didn’t stop anybody having fun, it was fantastic.”“It is a great event for Limerick.”The band was presented with the Kenneally Jewellers Perpetual Trophy as overall winners of the championship.The winners in the other categories were:Best International Band – Slippery Rock University Marching Pride Band, PennsylvaniaBest Youth Band – Banna Chluain Meala, ClonmelBest Local Band – Newcastle West Pipe BandBest Musical Performance – The Friendly Sons of the Shillelagh, New JerseyBest Uniform – Mullingar Town BandMost Entertaining Performance – Clondalkin Youth BandSpecial Judges’ Award (Pipe Band) – Killorglin and District Pipe BandSpecial Judges’ Award – Friendship Band, Northern IrelandSpecial Judges’ Award – Glen Ridge High School, New JerseyBands performed at the reviewing stand for three minutes as part of the judging process with the winners announced at Arthur’s Quay Park following the competition.Photo: Cian ReinhardrtPerformances at the 49th Limerick International Band Championship were judged by an international panel consisting of: Prof Stan Michalski, Cindy Scheid, Dr James Standland, Evelyn Grant and Niall Carroll.The head judge, Prof Michalski said, “It was outstanding due to the weather to see all the musicians so enthused. We were very much impressed. It would have been especially difficult for those playing the woodwind instruments. The musicians playing the brass instruments would get away with it. We had snow last year, rain this year – next year it’s going to be sunshine!”“I want to congratulate all the bands for taking the opportunity to walk through the entire parade, because it was very difficult on the instrumentalists with the weather being so wet.” Print NewsCommunityEntertainmentMusicVideoThousands brave the wind and rain for the 49th Limerick International Band ChampionshipBy Staff Reporter – March 19, 2019 1090 Advertisement Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Linkedin Previous articleThe Breakdown EP94: Six Nations Post Mortem & Throwing the Baby Out with the BathwaterNext articleFresh Film Festival announces 2019 programme Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie
A year ago, just being there was special enough. Making it to the next step in the journey, the NCAA tournament, was enough. Winning a first-round playoff game and making it to a second-round matchup against powerhouse Duke was icing on the cake. The expectation wasn’t to come away with a win, but merely some program experience.One offseason later, those expectations changed.On Saturday, the USC women’s lacrosse team earned a rematch with those Duke Blue Devils. In a program-defining 11–5 upset win, the Women of Troy earned the program’s most significant victory in its short four-year history. It’s a remarkably good sign for what is potentially to come from this upstart program, as well as validation for the outgoing athletic department head who placed so much faith in it.In its fourth official season as an NCAA Division I program, the USC women’s lacrosse team has joined the ranks of the top national programs. In its inaugural 2013 season, the team experienced some understandable growing pains and didn’t quite burst onto the national scene right out of the gate. A year later, while still growing, the Women of Troy have established themselves as a legitimate player in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference.Last year, the Trojans nearly had its moment in the early season spotlight. Hosting national power Northwestern in the Coliseum, the Women of Troy mounted a serious upset bid against the Wildcats. Unfortunately, the upset was thwarted, and the Wildcats eventually came back to win in overtime. The Women of Troy fought hard all season to get into the national rankings, and they eventually authenticated a season of progress by making the NCAA tournament. A first round playoff win served as extra validation and earned the second round matchup with Duke. But the Blue Devils were too much for the Trojans at the time and eventually made it to the national semifinals after beating USC.The Trojans did have the benefit of a home field in the rematch. Instead of flying across the country, the Women of Troy merely had to take a bus down to Orange County to meet the Blue Devils, who had to take the long cross-country flight this time. Nonetheless, a stifling defensive performance against the fifth-ranked Blue Devils proves that this Women of Troy team can truly beat anyone in the country.When looking at the USC coaching staff, it’s no shock that the program has ascended to the top. As head coach, Lindsey Munday leads the Women of Troy, and is also the team captain of the women’s national team. With great facilities and a top-ranked school academically, USC has brought in some of the top recruits in the nation who may want to escape the ice cold weather typical at usual East Coast lacrosse powerhouses. The sky is the limit for this program — it helps being able to see that clear blue sky about 280 days a year — and the Trojans could legitimately win the national title sometime in the next five years.Lacrosse is still a relatively obscure sport on campus despite the recent success. Like all non-revenue teams, it won’t dominate the headlines, even if it goes on a national championship run.Nonetheless, it is a sign of how strong the overall athletic program at USC has become under athletic director Pat Haden. It won’t be as important as head football coach Clay Helton winning a national championship in his USC tenure, but Haden’s involvement in the success of the women’s lacrosse team shows that he knocked the ball out of the park with at least one program hire.Though their success may not bring out thousands of fans like the football team’s spring game will, the Women of Troy’s success is certainly something to follow. The season is just getting started, but the team has already set a new standard for success going forward.Luke Holthouse is junior majoring in policy, planning and development and broadcast and digital journalism. His column, “Holthouse Party,” runs on Wednesdays.
Jeff Luhnow believed he was smarter than baseball. That belief was suspended on Monday, as was Luhnow.He is no longer the general manager of the Houston Astros, who, in winning the World Series in 2017 and the American League pennant in 2019, tried to spook the game.MLB commissioner Rob Manfred suspended Luhnow for one season. In an eruption of conscience rarely seen in owners, Jim Crane fired Luhnow.Manager A.J. Hinch got the same suspension and dismissal. The Astros were fined $5 million and lost their top draft choices in 2020 and 2021. That will not be enough for baseball people who wanted Luhnow suspended permanently.When John Coppolella, the Braves’ general manager, misreported signing bonuses for international players and made separate deals with agents, he was banned for life.When Chris Correa, a functionary in the Cardinals’ office, hacked into Houston’s computer networks because he knew where Luhnow was burying his data, he went to the slammer for 46 months and also was banned for life.Manfred could have been far tougher. He could have taken an entire draft class or two away from the Astros, or fined them the equivalent of the national TV money they’d receive. But he cited the Astros’ cooperation, as opposed to Coppolella’s obstruction.The next casualty almost surely will be Alex Cora, who was Houston’s bench coach in 2017 and Boston’s 2018 manager. The Red Sox beat Houston in that AL Championship Series and the Dodgers in the World Series. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Angels fail to take series in Oakland, lose in 10 innings Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Cora helped design the Astros’ plan to relay the signs electronically to a trash can-banger in the dugout, whose signals told the hitter what pitches were coming.Since the banger could not transmit the nature of the pitch’s movement or velocity, it’s difficult to believe this really helped the Astros, as Manfred acknowledged. Their strikeouts plunged in 2017, but apparently the signals were garbled in Game 4 of that World Series, when they got one hit on Alex Wood’s 84 pitches.Houston struck out two fewer times per game in 2017 than in 2016. But the 2017 and 2018 Astros had better hitting numbers on the road than at home.Manfred said the players were the prime movers in Garbagegate, but couldn’t justify suspending them. He threw the book at Hinch for hiding his knowledge of it. He reprimanded Luhnow for lack of institutional control, saying there was no evidence he knew. It would take major gullibility to assume he didn’t.“I am deeply disappointed that I wasn’t informed of any conduct,” Luhnow said in a statement, “because I would have stopped it.”Luhnow descended upon baseball like a mall developer upon a family farm. He worked for McKinsey, the powerful consulting firm. There, he met the son-in-law of Cardinals president Bill DeWitt, and legend has it that his mastery of fantasy-league baseball helped him get inside the door, where he ascended from the scouting department.Once in Houston, Luhnow began firing scouts and managers and wound up with perhaps the strongest roster in baseball. But Bobby Heck, one of the fired scouts, was responsible for drafting George Springer and Carlos Correa, and Jose Altuve and Dallas Keuchel were already there.Luhnow’s regime released J.D. Martinez and drafted Mark Appel with the top pick instead of future MVP Kris Bryant. To be fair, he pulled off the audacious trade for Justin Verlander that led to a championship.Related Articles Luhnow also traded for spouse-beater Roberto Osuna. He didn’t recognize that he couldn’t close the clubhouse to reporters because Verlander didn’t like one of them. He didn’t disapprove when assistant GM Brandon Taubman could make a jackass of himself in a post-win celebration, or when pro scouting consultant Kevin Goldstein encouraged scouts to steal signs with their cameras. He thought baseball would prosper with fewer minor league teams, an idea from the McKinsey playbook.In the end, he was undone by a decision to leave Michael Fiers off the 2017 postseason roster. Fiers was 10-8 for the season and led Houston in innings, and the Astros were 8-2 in his no-decisions. Everyone forgot it but Fiers, now with Oakland. He told The Athletic about the inner workings.It’s fashionable to scoff at baseball’s unwritten rules and ethics, made up by Boomers who disavow “fun.” Luhnow thought he could skirt the written rules, too, even after Manfred warned him.The Dodgers will bask in their aggrievement, but no sign-stealing made them hit .205 in that series.No, the real issue is whether the punishment fell short of the crime and whether the Astros would do it again even if they knew the penalties. And they probably would. If cheating is your thing, cheat loud. How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies
The special edition of “ChangeUp” will mark the first time that the program has been made available to non-subscribers. Beginning Wednesday, July 31, the show will be available each night on MLB.tv and At-Bat Premium for subscribers of those services on supported mobile devices. DAZN will also offer a one-month free trial, which is available now at http://bit.ly/TrialChangeUpWe are LIVE for a special #TradeDeadline edition of ChangeUp ⚾️Sign up for a free trial and watch every night 👉 https://t.co/HYH0GawL3F https://t.co/aXoPkaDeHU— ChangeUp on DAZN (@changeupondazn) July 30, 2019“‘ChangeUp’ has established its unique voice since its launch in late March, and with more than 100 episodes under our belt we are thrilled to partner with MLB to deliver our product to baseball fans who aren’t currently DAZN subscribers,” Logan Swaim, the show’s executive producer, said in a news release. DAZN’s MLB whip-around show “ChangeUp” will be available free for the first time beginning Tuesday to coincide with the run-up to baseball’s trade deadline.The streaming service says the show will air live on “ChangeUp’s” official Twitter account (@ChangeUpOnDAZN) beginning at 7 p.m. ET Tuesday and provide its usual live look-ins and analysis of the night’s MLB action. “ChangeUp” airs seven days a week on DAZN. The show streams live each weeknight starting at 7 p.m. ET and weekend evenings starting at 10 p.m. ET. The weeknight edition is hosted by Adnan Virk, Scott Rogowsky, Lauren Gardner and Tony Luftman. The weekend edition is hosted Jake Mintz and Jordan Shusterman, the duo who make up the popular MLB social media channel Cespedes Family BBQ. All hosts, in addition to special guests, will appear on Tuesday’s free Twitter stream. The one-month free trial codes are now available and must be redeemed by Aug. 10.Editor’s note: DAZN is the parent company of Sporting News.