Suspect arrested in tampering case

first_imgSACRAMENTO – Federal agents on Wednesday arrested a contract employee they say tampered with computers at the headquarters of the agency that controls California’s electricity transmission. Lonnie Charles Denison, 32, of Sacramento faces a felony charge of destruction of an energy facility. The crime carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. Denison is being held in Sacramento County Jail and is scheduled to be arraigned today in federal court in Sacramento. The tampering, coupled with a bomb threat at the agency’s Folsom headquarters Monday, had drawn the attention of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force because of the potential impact on the state’s power grid. The California Independent System Operator manages 25,000 miles of electrical transmission lines and operates wholesale power markets. Stephanie McCorkle, spokeswoman for the agency, said employees at the Independent System Operator were relieved to learn of the arrest. McCorkle said neither the tampering nor the bomb threat disrupted the agency’s operations. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “Employees are obviously feeling more comfortable,” she said. The tampering began at 11:30 p.m. Sunday and continued into the early morning hours Monday, according to the FBI’s arrest affidavit. The affidavit said Denison, hired to operate computers, used a security key card to gain access to a data center at the facility. Once inside, Denison used a hammer to break a glass plate covering an emergency power-off button. By pressing the button, he cut the facility’s internal power supply to the majority of the data center, preventing the agency from controlling computers used to buy and sell energy in real time. Denison was working for Science Applications International Corp., an information-technology firm that had performed contract work for the agency for more than a year, McCorkle said. His security clearance had been revoked last week after a dispute with his employer, the affidavit said. He had twice tried to access the agency’s computer system remotely Sunday but was denied. last_img read more

Mathare, Stima early leaders in title race

first_img0Shares0000Mathare United midfielder Kevin Kimani wheels away in celebration after scoring the opener against Posta Rangers in a Kenyan Premier League clash at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on December 29, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 3 – Mathare United, champions in 2008 and Western Stima have emerged as the early front-runners towards the 2018/2019 Kenyan Premier League title with both sides picking up a positive start.Mathare have been on a run of five winless games, winning four and drawing one of their opening fixtures. They have accumulated two more points than they had after the same number of matches last season where they have won three and drawn two. Though silently not wanting to be dragged into title talk, Mathare boss Francis Kimanzi is keen to see the side break a thirst that has seen them wait for silverware since a decade ago when they won their only league title.The Slum Boys look more convincing and assured than they did last season and signs that the young squad has finally come of age are visible.“There are areas we worked on, tactically and technically, but bigger was the mental issue which has improved this time,” coach Kimanzi said.One member of the squad who has been a standout performer is attacking midfielder Cliff Nyakeya who is continuously showing that his 2018 midfielder of the year award was not just but a fluke.Nyakeya has scored in all of Mathare’s matches this season save for the drab 0-0 draw with Ulinzi Stars and stands top of the goal scorers’ chart with four goals.-Western Stima remaining humbleWestern Stima players line up before their match against Sofapaka at the Kenyatta Stadium in Kisumu on January 2, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluMeanwhile, Western Stima who returned to top flight football after serving one season in the cold of the National Super League have also started well, picking three wins and two draws to accumulate 11 points.However, coach Paul Ogai has preferred to remain calm in the face of the good start, saying the team’s sole target is to remain in the league.“We learnt many bitter lessons from our relegation in 2017 and if you look at how the fans turn up in our home games, we would not want to disappoint them by dropping down again. Our target is to remain in the league and that is what we are working on,” Ogai said.Stima were held to a 1-1 draw by visiting Sofapaka at their Moi Stadium backyard in Kisumu, their second consecutive draw after a similar result away to Bandari in Mombasa.-Gor bouncing backMeanwhile, as the two continue to give good results in the opening lap of the season, holders Gor Mahia seems to be slowly crawling back after a slow start.Gor Mahia striker Jacques Tuyisenge congratulates Boniface Omondi after his goal against Chemelil Sugar in a Kenyan premier League fixture at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on January 2, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaA loss to Kariobangi Sharks last weekend putt some speed bumps on the journey to their title defense but they bounced back on Wednesday with a 2-0 beating of Chemelil Sugar.New tactician Hassan Oktay is not worried despite the slow start and says he is confident the team will soon find its rhythm.“I am happy with how we are doing because we are playing well and creating very many chances. We just need to improve on scoring but I am not worried,” the tactician further stated.With the result, Gor moved to ninth in the standings with six points, seven behind early leaders Mathare. But, Gor have chance to cut that lead to size when the two sides clash on Sunday afternoon at the Kasarani Stadium.-Tusker showing signs of potentialAnother side that has quietly romped into a good start is Tusker FC under the apt tutelage of Robert Matano.Tusker FC players celebrate one of their two goals against Vihiga United in a Kenyan Premier League match at the Ruaraka Complex on January 2, 2018. PHOTO/Tusker FCThird placed Tusker are on a run of three consecutive wins having picked up maximum points against Mount Kenya United, KCB and Vihiga United to move to 10 points at this stage of the season.The brewers who last won the title in 2016 are looking to gain that tag of champion and with Matano having led them to a third spot finish after picking them up from the doldrums of relegation is keen to clinch his second league title with the brewers.Tusker is among the top two scoring sides in the league thus far as they have scored nine goals, just like Mathare and have conceded only three.“We are improving game by game and the thing now is to be consistent with results,” Matano says of his side’s start to the new campaign.-Sofapaka yet to stamp authorityTusker FC head coach Melis Medo passes instruction to defender Mousa Omar during their Kenyan premier League match against Western Stima at the Moi Stadium in Kisumu on January 2, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluMeanwhile, Sofapaka’s hunt to find both their feet firmly on the ground has continued after picking up a third successive draw in their away trip, playing to a 1-1 draw with Western Stima in Kisumu.Batoto ba Mungu erstwhile drew 2-2 with both AFC Leopards and Ulinzi Stars and head coach Melis Medo is continuously growing frustrated with the side’s blunt attack.“We create chances, but we just can’t score,” the tactician has continuously lamented. Sofapaka have six points off three draws and a win but while Medo might be concerned about the team’s forward line, he has to be equally worried of the defense.Sofapaka have conceded the second highest number of goals this season (eight) and only Mount Kenya United and KCB both perched at the bottom of the table have conceded more (10).It is an area he has to address especially noting that apart from Stima’s game on Wednesday, his side has scored first in all their first four games and lost one, drawing three and winning one.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

UPDATED: ST EUNAN’S WIN BOUNDARY DISPUTE CASE

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: ST Eunan’s GAA club has won its appeal against a decision to split Letterkenny into two different catchment areas based on parish boundaries.The Ulster Appeals Council decision was relayed to club members this evening.Donegal’s GAA clubs had voted on November 7th by 40 to 36 to accept that no pre-existing agreement existed between St Eunan’s and Letterkenny Gaels As a result, the Gaels had the Aughaninshin part of the town declared as their club’s catchment area.That left St Eunan’s with Conwal and Leck part of the town only.St Eunan’s appealed the decision of the county clubs to the Ulster Council of the GAA.And that body has ruled that there WAS a pre-existing agreement between both clubs that Letterkenny would not be divided and that each club could draw players from throughout the town and both parishes in the town. It remains to be seen whether or not the Gaels will now go down the appeal route.A St Eunan’s spokesman told donegaldaily.com: “St. Eunan’s GAA Club are pleased that our appeal against the recent County Committee decision was upheld.“Hopefully the matter of Boundaries in Letterkenny can now be put behind us and the club can continue to focus on the development of Gaelic Games in the town. Our club will work with all interested parties to further these aims.”© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law. Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comUPDATED: ST EUNAN’S WIN BOUNDARY DISPUTE CASE was last modified: November 29th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:appeal wonLetterkenny GaelsSt Eunanslast_img read more