“A Surrey correspondent takes us to task in the ’Mind of the Trade’ because we expressed the view, in this column last week, that bakers do themselves and their craft an injustice when they make play on the words ’home-made’.It is a fact that some bakers do pander to the public, especially to womenfolk, by deliberately producing crudely finished goods in their bakehouses and featuring them as ’home-made’.They are, in so doing, giving it forth that in their opinion the general ’home-made’ standard of cake-making is higher than the average standard of the trade.If they had seen, as we did, a piece of heavily fruited cake made recently from excellent ingredients by the kitchen staff of a lady’s country house, they would not have wanted to boast about ’home-made’ cakes !”
North Wales bakery Siwgr a Sbeis is celebrating its 30th anniversary this week.Starting in 1989 as a small shop making desserts, over the past three decades the business has grown to become a 5,000 sq ft bakery with a customer base stretching across Wales and beyond.The business was set up by Rhian Owen and Rhian Williams, who met at school and went on to study bakery together in Wrexham before getting jobs in catering and hospitality.When they dediced to set up their own business in 1989, they came up with the name Siwgr a Sbeis, which translates to Sugar and Spice.“We had lots of fun trying out suitable company names, but chose Siwgr a Sbeis as it conveys what we actively produce. It is a talking point and, when translated, it is very similar,” said co-founder Rhian Owen.Siwgr a Sbeis is part of the Fine Foods Cluster, a development programme supported by the Welsh government and facilitated by Cywain, which has a remit to grow business through collaboration.“Being part of the cluster group makes a difference; it is important to interact and support other businesses and share everyday experiences,” added Owen.“It’s good to catch up with other food producers, to learn how someone else overcame a particular problem, and to see new trends.”Throughout its 30 years, Siwgr a Sbeis has had highlights, including supplying Harrods with almond meringue mince pies, sending luxury Christmas puddings to Australia, and creating a cake for a wedding in France with the decorations hand-painted to replicate the bride’s dress.As part of its 30-year anniversary celebrations, the business will attend the National Eisteddfod festival and will also be at national and international trade event Taste Wales.This week, it will be in London with a stall at Borough Market (28 February – 1 March) as part of Wales Week in London.
With a space telescope churning out discoveries of new planets, robots exploring Mars and other places, and researchers gaining understanding of extreme environments, the search for the roots of life on Earth and other planets is in a golden age, an authority in the field said Wednesday (March 23).“If there ever was a moment to think about the origins of life, it surely is now,” said Ralph Pudritz, director of the Origins Institute at Canada’s McMaster University.Pudritz spoke at one of the regular forums sponsored by Harvard’s Origins of Life Initiative, an interdisciplinary, cross-school center aimed at unraveling one of the central mysteries facing humankind: how life arose in the universe. Origins Director Dimitar Sasselov, professor of astronomy, introduced Pudritz as the founding director of a sister organization of Harvard’s initiative: McMaster University’s Origins Institute, which was begun in 2004.Pudritz’s talk, “Equipping Planets for Life,” reviewed recent advances in understanding planetary formation and what it takes to create the conditions and elements of life.Pudritz acknowledged that our imaginations fail when thinking about exotic forms of potential life, but added that our current understanding of the process has a handful of requirements. Life is thought to exist only on rocky planets in the presence of water and an energy source with a supply of the biomolecules that make up living things.Planets form by the accretion of material in a dusty disk around young stars. That material, Pudritz said, commonly includes ample water. Water is so common, in fact, that Pudritz said one study found that typical planets contain more water than Earth does.Water alone doesn’t guarantee life. A rocky, watery planet must orbit in a star’s habitable zone, that narrow band whose extremes are defined in our solar system by Venus and Mars. Too close to the sun and water evaporates. Too far and it freezes.The Kepler space telescope has given an enormous boost to this research, Pudritz said, by discovering more than 1,000 planets, some of which are thought to lie within this habitable zone.“It looks like we’ve hit pay dirt,” Pudritz said.Scientists believe that life arose on Earth around 3.5 billion years ago. Before that, the planet existed, lifeless, for a billion years. The conditions for life were developed in what Pudritz referred to as a “prebiotic soup” that contained, among other things, the necessary molecules.Science has begun to answer the question of where those molecules originated, Pudritz said. Analysis of meteorites that have fallen to Earth have shown that some of them are rich in amino acids, the molecules that make up the proteins so important to life. His own research, published in 2009, illustrated that the 10 simplest amino acids used in living things are the easiest to create naturally and were likely available in the environment before life arose. More complex amino acids utilized in living things were probably added to the genetic code as life evolved.“It appears that the makeup of the soup is determined by a simple law of physics,” Pudritz said.
This is one in a series of profiles showcasing some of Harvard’s stellar graduates.Like many of his classmates, Gregg Moore came to Harvard to continue his studies after receiving his undergraduate degree, in his case at Humboldt State University in California. Unlike many of his classmates, however, Moore was in his late 50s when he arrived in Cambridge, with two children old enough to be his classmates.Now 59, Moore is set to receive a master’s degree in Arts in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE). He plans to use the degree to foster community arts programs, with a particular emphasis on music education, as a way to bring disparate groups together. It’s an idea, he said, that was developed over 25 years of encouraging the community-building power of music in Europe.“When I came back to America, I thought maybe this is a place where we can use music to bring people together,” Moore said. “People, whether they’re Democrat or Republican, they tend to like music. And, in a lot of cases, they like the same kind of music. If there was a way to promote this idea of coming together — for instance, in a band — maybe people would get out of their individual silos, start talking to each other, and realize they have a lot of the same goals in common.”Over three decades in Europe, Moore worked as a professional musician, first in Amsterdam, where he became deeply enmeshed in the city’s alternative music and theater, and later in Portugal, where he learned the tradition of the village band.“In Portugal, I was impressed with the ability of the bands to bring together whole swaths of the society of the village. You would often see a schoolteacher sitting next to a lawyer sitting next to a field-worker,” he said. “I gradually came to understand that music was a community-building exercise, and that got me interested in thinking about the social and community uses of music, and the arts in general.”After returning to the United States a few years ago, Moore enrolled at Humboldt State University in California, where he studied everything from grant writing to business administration to organizational communications. It was while he was finishing his degree that the idea of attending Harvard first came up.A participant in HONK! Festival, an annual event organized by activist bands from across the country, Moore befriended former University of Massachusetts, Boston, professor Reebee Garofalo, who introduced him to Steven Seidel, the Patricia Bauman and John Landrum Bryant Lecturer on Arts in Education and director of the Arts in Education program at HGSE, who in turn convinced Moore to apply to Harvard.“It was only three weeks before I took the GRE that I realized there was something called the GRE that I would have to take,” Moore said with a laugh. “I don’t know how it happened, but I was accepted into the program, and I thought, this is something I can’t turn my nose up at. So I went ahead, and now I’m down to the last couple weeks of the program.”With the program wrapping up, Moore plans to return to California to work with a small nonprofit, the Ink People Center for the Arts, to organize community music and arts events. He also plans to take over operation of Humboldt Music Academy, the Humboldt State Music Department’s community outreach program, with an eye toward expanding it to include more adults and more types of music and programming.“It’s been a fascinating experience,” Moore said of his time at Harvard. “Many of my classmates are young enough to be my own kids, so there’s often a dynamic where I see them as young people. But I’ve learned to be ready when they open their mouths, because something profound is going to come out. In that way, it’s been very encouraging, because for some people in my generation, it can be discouraging sometimes to see how young people conduct themselves. But working with these people has been incredibly encouraging. It really gives you hope for the future.”
Related Shows View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 22, 2017 Just weeks before taking the Broadway stage, George St. Geegland and Gil Faizon took the podium. Comedians John Mulaney and Nick Kroll played the crotchety characters at a mock press conference on September 8. Following Oh, Hello’s wildly popular off-Broadway run last fall, the duo will make their debuts on the Great White Way beginning on September 23. Alex Timbers, who was recently announced to be at the helm of Moulin Rouge!’s in-the-works stage adaptation, directs Mulaney and Kroll’s two-man comedy, which features them as their outrageously opinionated, 70-something characters carrying out both scripted and improvised hilarity. Opening night is set for October 10 at the Lyceum Theatre, so be sure to check out the pics and prepare for a laugh attack! John Mulaney & Nick Kroll(Photo: Emilio Madrid-Kuser) Oh, Hello on Broadway
‘The Band’s Visit'(Photo: Ahron R. Foster) Related Shows The Band’s Visit View Comments It’s a hit! The Band’s Visit has extended for a second time and will now run through January 8, 2017 (instead of January 1). Starring Tony nominees John Cariani and Tony Shalhoub, the world premiere follows an Egyptian Police Band’s unexpected experiences in Israel, and officially opened on December 8. The show is running off-Broadway at the Atlantic Theater Company’s Linda Gross Theater.The Band’s Visit features direction by David Cromer, a book by Itamar Moses, an original score by David Yazbek and choreography by Lee Sher.An Egyptian Police Band arrives in Israel to play a concert. After a mix up at the border, they are sent to a remote village in the middle of the desert. With no bus until morning and no hotel in sight, these unlikely travelers are taken in by the locals. Under the spell of the desert sky, their lives become intertwined in the most unexpected ways. A new musical based on the critically acclaimed screenplay which received 36 major international awards.Along with Cariani as Itzik and Shalhoub as Tewfiq, the cast includes George Abud as Camal, Bill Army as Zelger, Katrina Lenk as Dina, Erik Liberman as Telephone Guy, Andrew Polk as Avrum, Rachel Prather as Julia, Jonathan Raviv as Sammy, Sharone Sayegh as Anna, Kristen Sieh as Iris and Alok Tewari as Simon. Show Closed This production ended its run on April 7, 2019
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享ElNeuvoDia.com:Four senior officials of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) must appear in court and explain why the public corporation is allegedly refusing to provide two nonprofit organizations with information about the privatization process and the power grid.That is what San Juan Superior Court Judge Anthony Cuevas ruled. Cuevas -who presided over a follow-up hearing to the “mandamus action” that CAMBIO and the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) filed last May “to obtain information about the electric power utility’s (PREPA’s) system and the ongoing privatization process.”Astrid Rodríguez (Legal Consultant), engineer Hiram Medero (Chief Strategy and Information Officer), engineer Efran Paredes (Planning and Environmental Protection Director) and Fernando Padilla (Project Management Director) are the four PREPA officials called to appear at a new hearing on September 26, with a follow-up hearing on September 30.“The Authority is trying to make it appear that there have been misinterpretations in our requests and that they are willing to provide the documents, but that is not the real experience. The real experience has been that we have to insist that the documents do exist for them to provide us those documents. The requests have been clear,” said CAMBIO co-founder and president Ingrid Vila.She added that PREPA “has refused” to provide them with documents that exist – or that should exist – invoking confidentiality clauses that, in her opinion, do not apply. Judge Cuevas ordered CAMBIO and IEEFA to present, on or before next Thursday, a list of the information that PREPA allegedly owes them.Rodríguez confirmed that the organizations insisted on “stating there is information that PREPA has not provided.” “However, they did not specify what information was missing,” she said.More: PREPA officials will be held accountable Judge orders Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority officials to explain privatization plans
For decades, Moses Cone—a national park unit near Blowing Rock, N.C.—has attracted elite runners to its wide, rolling carriage trails and scenic lakeside paths. One of the country’s elite Olympic training centers —ZAP Fitness—is headquartered near Moses Cone. Many Olympic hopefuls have been forged on the trails of Moses Cone.Earlier this month, the National Park Service proposed restrictions on trail running in Moses Cone. According to the Blowing Rock News, a senior Blue Ridge Parkway official said that the park’s “frequent use by running groups and trail rides disrupts the experience of anyone wanting to walk in solitude.” Its proposed plan would likely result in a substantial reduction in the carriage roads’ use by organized running groups. Future Olympians—who live and train in our mountains—may have to look elsewhere to chase their dreams. And thousands of everyday runners will be denied access to some of the most scenic and exceptional trail running in the Blue Ridge.Fortunately, the draft plan can still be changed. The National Park Service is seeking comments on the draft plan. Express your thoughts on the proposed trail running restrictions in this beloved national park here.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Mike Keeton won his first Virginia Sprint Series feature of 2018 Saturday at Shenandoah Speedway. (Photo by Jim Haines)By Jim HainesSHENANDOAH, Va. (July 28) – Mike Keeton showed the way to the front of the IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Car field at Shenandoah Speedway Saturday night and stayed there for his first Virginia Sprint Series win of the year.Chris Ware and Bill Rice made up the front row for the start with Rice out first and Ware right behind. Tony Harris, Keeton, Jerald Harris and Glenn Worrell were all lined up and working on Ware in order to get a crack at the leader.Tony Harris got by first to chase down Rice. After some shuffling behind the leader, the top four were all together with Harris holding off Worrell as Keeton was working on Rice for the lead.Keeton went to the front with 10 to go as Worrell took over second three laps later.Keeton would not be caught, however, as he flashed under the checkered flag first with Worrell and Tony Harris close behind.Next Friday it’s the final Fast Friday event of the year at Dixieland Speedway in Elizabeth City, N.C., on Aug. 3.Feature results – 1. Mike Keeton; 2. Glenn Worrell; 3. Tony Harris; 4. Bill Rice; 5. Jerald Harris; 6. Chris Ware; 7. Josh Perreault; 8. Matt Mullins.